1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Suggestions for a Modern Low Volume Crunchy sounding Valve Amp for recording

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sandwell, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Sandwell

Sandwell

Jan 2, 2017
    UK
    Hey guys, so I'm on the lookout for a valve amp for recording only. Because of that I'd like it to be low volume. I want to push the valves into crunchy overdrive, for a reference think Jerry Scheffs various amazing tones on The Doors "LA Woman" album. I know he used a Sunn 200s on that album, what amps could replicate that sound?

P.S. a B15 is out of my price range/don't particularly want to deal with vintage amps if I can get away with it.
    cheers!

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    I suggest an effects pedal. Cheaper and can run with any amp. Maybe one of the effects gurus can chime in.

3. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
  4. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    you simple just dont do "low volume"
    all joking set aside best thing for recording is Guitar Rig by native instruments
    and that is from a guy that has recorded a lot of cranked up tube amps

5. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    While Guitar rig is very good and very economically priced the noise gate sounds a lot less natural on the dirtier sounds than the kempers we use live, we like to model our sounds from the real amps used on the albums rather than just use presets, also native instruments had some strange compatibility issues in Avid Protools 12 HDX systems and stand alone is far more useful. The bias moddeling amp is getting some very good reviews recently.
    But the original poster is looking for a real tube amp I thought?.

6. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    Mesa d180 with a high gain bass

Sartori likes this.
  7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Any amp with gain and master controls.

TheRealKong likes this.
  8. Sandwell

Sandwell

Jan 2, 2017
    UK
  9. It might look right, but how are you going to get any drive out of it w/o a gain knob?

img_1210-.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    Sartori likes this.
  10. Sandwell

Sandwell

Jan 2, 2017
    UK
    What would you suggest instead?

11. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    A clone 5e3 tweed deluxe will overdrive real easy at low volumes. For bass, you'll need a different cabinet. Some boutique 5E3 amps can be tweaked to run hotter with GZ34 rectifers or solidstate rectifiers for less sag which can yield a tighter overdrive. Some even use 6L6 power tubes for more power and headroom.

12. Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    Sartori and Badwater like this.
  13. capture-20170319-142901.
    + This. I'd recommend the Two Note "Le Bass" pedal.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    hopwheels likes this.
  14. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    I imagine the OP wants low wattage so the amp can be run hot enough to overdrive the output section. The Ashdown CTM-30 would work fine... you don't need a gain knob for that purpose, and anyway you can pop a boost in front of it if necessary.

Sartori likes this.
  15. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    If you record "crunch" in and later find it's too much it will be hard to get out.
    Do yourself a favor and split the output of you bass.
    One into a DI track - clean. Tracks are cheap
    You can always re-amp (using any or all the above mentioned amps) or use plugins to get the final tone. This is often done in recordings.

16. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    He is looking for a recording amp. So to get distortion he's gonna drive it hard. We know the drill :) there is a lot of well known decent formulas out there to achieve this.

And going live I wouldn't want anything else but real tubes. Studio wise. No matter what you do its gonna be louder than #### and going low budget could be decent. But your stuck with character of one amp.

For most part defining distortion is class ab distortion and either pentode or beam tetrode. Or smaller classic class a amps. So without going through a massive list and price tags of all those amps. Cost of a mic that gets pounded by high SPL. And basic limiter and compression techniques to get a digital recorder to capture that and not sound like hundreds of average recordings

. Its much easier to get 20 different models in software. Lots of effects and no mics no processing it just goes to "tape" lol. Trust me live nothing will touch a real amp. In studio. After the room the mic the pres the limiters the compression the master then mixdown. Even at professional levels the sound degrades with full mix drums , bass, keys , vocals etc etc.

The audible difference between a " real amp" recorded at home and a " real amp" in a studio. Software emulation gives you studio quality tracks....at home. With probably over 60 plus grand of tone options you'll never see or touch. Guitar rig being affordable and very good and all the various packages by IK multimedia /Amplitube series.

17. Super Champ X2. It's about the cheapest push pull head available and breaks up quick. Swap in JJs for a sealed cab or EHX for ported cab which is how I use it now for practice.

18. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    5w class A el84 guitar amp into a small bass cab.

Anything from an epiphone valve Jr , bugera V5, up to a more expensive amp like a boogie ta15 with 5w class A mode

19. I'm not surprised that guitar amps are being recommended. I had a Tubemeister from Hughes & Kettner & it could easily pull off crunchy timbre at a low volume.
    The EQ might be a challenge though, but if you're recording through the DI that won't matter.

20. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

If you're not in a super rush, Broughton Audio (TB member Azure Skies) can likely do up or already has some electronics wizardry that will get you the sound you're looking for.

If you want genuine late 60s early 70s overdriven speaker sound, I don't know what to suggest since you have to crank to get that. So you'd need a speaker that breaks up at low volumes to get you there but which still sounds like a bass amp.

You could build an isolation box and get around it that way. I've seen that done in some small studios. Basically it's just a relatively soundproofed box big enough to accommodate the cab and a microphone whose lead feeds out through a jack. I've got plans for one if you need them. PM if you're interested.

DrummerwStrings likes this.