Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

suggestions for a new amp between $200-$300

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Platypus_Of_420, Dec 30, 2005.

1. i've been looking for a new amp between $200 and $300, cause i'm a dirt poor pieca crap. my amp right now is a fender frontman 15W, and you could imagine how badly i wanna burn that thing to hell. i've been thinking about a behringer ultrabass 1200X combo and a gallien Krueger Blackline 112 or 115 combo...i'm pretty sure its gonna be the G-K. but i dont know, all i know is i need a new god damn amp

edit: sorry i didnt say this before. i play classic rock, nu-metal, alternative, indie, pretty much every kind of rock you could possibly think of except thrash and heavy metal. and no i dont intend to gig anytime soon, but i need an amp that can cut through a gig if i need it to, which is why the behringer/G-K sticks out

2. Hi
    You don't state what type of music you play, are you going to be gigging ect.In your price range you are typically looking at 50w to 100w, keep in mind doubling the watts does not mean twice as loud.
    Some amps to consider are the SWR LA 15 or 12,Fender Rumble 60w or 100w, Ashdown Five Fifteen, Peavey Max 115,Yorkville xm 50,along with the 2 brands you mentioned GK backline and Berhinger.
    Just rumours so take it for what it is but I heard their are reliability issues with the backline series and I have heard even more horror stories about Berhinger.
    If tone is most important I would go Ashdown or Yorkville
    If it's reliability I would go Peavy or Yorkville,
    Loudness I would go Ashdown, GK, Fender
    But in the end I would say in this price range I would go Yorkville xm 50. It has a 2 year even if you break it warrenty, great tone, and don't let the wattage scare you it's a great amp.
    But of course this is all subjective so my best advice try as many amps as possible and pick the one you like best.

Good Luck

3. All i gotta say is that the backline series sucks. I own them...and I would rather play acoustic than hear that muddy peice of ****.

4. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    another vote for ashdown electric blue amps.

5. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    I had an Ashdown Electric Blue 12" combo. That was a smokin little amp (in a good way!). The Ashdowns are conservatively rated power-wise, so you end up with more amp than you think you're getting.

+1 here also

6. Hi again
    I myself bought an Ashdown Mag C115 300 combo and I think it's the best thing since sliced bread in it's price range, with that being said their is some reliability issues with ashdowns lower end stuffbut not as much as GK or Berhinger. But of the three you listed I think they are all great amps.
    Ashdown has I believe a more classic tone which is warm and bassy but not muddy.
    I have never played an SWR but I have heard great things about them and I have heard them live with other bands. I would say the tone is a little more modern sounding meaning not as warm but very clear.
    If I was to vote I would go with the Electric Blue 12 180. I played one and I thought it was really great sounding it has tones of features.

Let us know what you get

Good Luck

7. p5string

p5string

Aug 21, 2004
    Webster, NY
    You may want to check out the Eden Silver series amps too.

8. thanks for the help, i'll let you know what i got when i get it, which will be soon