Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggestions for a new amp setup... $1000 to spend

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bertbassplayer, Dec 26, 2002.

1. I just got $1000 over the holidays... and I plan on spending it on a new Amp setup (Head and Cabs). So if you could lend any suggestions that would be great.

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    In really broad terms, for a grand I think I'd be looking at a decent combo plus extension cab, like a G-K 400RB/210 + 1x15, or a Fender Bassman 400 + 1x15 extension. There's others, of course - but those two come to mind first.

What kind of music are you playing?

3. Ok...Here's a solution, little more than $1000, but it sounded good to me....

Used SWR Grand Pri - 300

Avatar C15 and B112 - 425, shipped

QSC RMX 850 Power amp - 299 + shipping

This would Give you a MAX if you bridge thru the two cabs at 4 ohms, you'd have 415W through the two lil monsters...I'm not so good at this, but I even liked this idea

4. Mostly I play Praise and Worship for my church, and I also play alternative rock and some punk... sometimes ska as well.

I'm not too keen on buying a used head or combo... speakers I'm okay with. I just have been burned before with the combos.

5. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I'd look at a slightly used Carvin R1000 head and a couple of good used cabs, 4x10 and maybe 1x15 or 2x15

6. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    bertbassplayer stated he may get used speakers.
    Some good used speaker deals can be found at:
    www.musicgoround.com
    They also have good deals on other used music equipment and will take trade-ins.
    I have bought used poweramps and effects through musicgoround without any problems.

7. Well after looking at some music classifieds sites, I'm begining to rethink my choice to not buy a used head.

8. Coming from the "other" forum, let me share with you the "Official HC Kick-Ass Budget Bass Rig®"

SansAmp RBI - $300

Yamaha CP2000 power amp - around $450
    (if you need to save a few bucks get a QSC RMX1450 instead)

That's $1149 before shipping. You'd need a rack case but those aren't real expensive.