Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

suggestions for a new bass rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cwbassist, Aug 24, 2003.

1. cwbassist

cwbassist

Aug 23, 2003
    illiniois
    :bassist: I'm looking to buy a new rig and I was thinking of getting a hartke vx 4x10 cab and gk 700rb head, but my question is that would this be a good idea to get becasue I'm looking to get a deep solid tone especialy on my low B, if not what suggestions do you have for me? but keep in mind that I don't have a lot of cash to play with:bassist:

2. I would keep away from the hartke VX those speakers are horrible IMO (no lows, bad tone) you should consider spending a little more on one of the better hartke speakers (XL or transporter series)

3. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
  4. cwbassist

cwbassist

Aug 23, 2003
    illiniois
    I was thinking that a 2x25 cab would fit my needs better can anyone recomend an inexpensive 2x15 for me?:bassist:

5. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    What is your current Rig?

What do you lack in your current Rig?

Do you mind used equipment?

You may be able to add on to your current rig and get the deep low bass you are looking for at a decent price by purchasing used equipment.

My first amp way back when I was in High school (man I feel like I am getting old) was a used 65 watt combo. After about a year I needed more volume and I purchased a 130 watt combo. I ran the EQ with the Bass boosted and Highs cut on the 130 watt combo and the Lows cut on the 65 watt combo.
    Without knowing it, I was running a biamp setup to get more clean volume out of a limited amount of power. I had a good bottom with clarity in the Mid/High area by using 2 amps. I used that rig for a couple years playing with usually no PA support at partys almost every weekend.

6. cwbassist

cwbassist

Aug 23, 2003
    illiniois

right now my rig consists of a single peavey tnt 115 combo with 150 watts of power I'm constantly being drowned out by the guitarists I've played with, I'm bassicly lacking power , I want to double what I have , and I'd prefer new gear but I'm not opposed to used stuff:bassist:

7. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    If it is more volume and you like your current tone you could get an additional Cabinet and an additional poweramp. Most PA poweramps have 2 channels and some can be bridged to put more power into a single cab.
    Most Peavey Combos have a line out that will drive a Poweramp.

If you are looking for a boost in a certain frequecny area then that might be what you look for in the additional cabinet.

For example:
    If you want more clarity and highs, you might add a cabinet with 4x10s and a horn.
    If you want more punchy Low-Mids, you might add a cabinet with a 15.
    If you want more deep lows, you might add a PA subwoofer with an 18.

Decent used gear can be found at www.musicgoround.com including used poweramps.

8. cwbassist

cwbassist

Aug 23, 2003
    illiniois
    I think I'm just going to use the pa more,but I still need a thicker deeper tone what preamp or cab would you guys recomend for this, I have a $600 price limit right now, so try to keep it reasonable in price

9. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    If you're basically happy with your TNT combo, and it does have a preamp out (or line out), I second the idea of adding a separate power amp and additional speaker cab. That way in the future you could add a preamp of your choice and have two separate rigs (the combo and rack rig).

If you take this route, I would recommend the QSC RMX 850 power amp (around $275 new), and the Avatar cabinet of your choice in 4 ohm (1x12, 1x15, 2x10, 2x12 or 4x10). In order to get a cab that will hold up on it's own in a rock band, go with either a 4x10 or 2x12. That way if you eventually drop the combo out of the rig, you won't need to add another cabinet. Also, keep in mind the cabinet weight and how much space it will take in your vehicle to move it around.

I use the same basic concept. I have a 300w head that is usually enough, but when I need more power I add my QSC amp into the mix. I play through either an Epifani 2x12 or Avatar CB115H.

10. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    if you're talking 500.00 or less, consider this:
    another peavey combo...you can get a 300 watt version pretty cheap, especially used...
    i made this move in high school, played through two tnt130's, i stacked 'em up so i could hear better....used a stereo phaser to split the signal to the amps....it solved my problem for 150.00 so i could save for a nice rig....

11. cwbassist

cwbassist

Aug 23, 2003
    illiniois
    thanks everybody I don't need any more help I was playng with some of my stomp boxes and eq today and I found a tone that cuts straight through my guitarists tone all I needed to get the tone I was after was a little overdrive and more low mids, I kind of feel foolish that I almost bought another rig entirely but I still think I'm going to add either another 115 cab or a 210 cab, I havent decided which yet however:bassist:

12. Definitely give the GK SBX cabinets a try. Jimmy Earl and Robben Ford's other bass player, Dewayne Pate are both using those now. The 410SBX lists for $649. Street price is going to be lower.

13. cwbassist

cwbassist

Aug 23, 2003
    illiniois
    I must be pissing everybody off by not making up my mind but, how about hartke 210tp + 115tp cabs with a gallien krueger 400 rb head?

14. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    I have had a couple of Hartke cabs (actually I still have one).

The Transporter series cabs are not very loud and do not handle very much power. The 4x10TP does not put out very good lows either.

Try one at a store with a 5 string and you will see what I mean.

I replaced one Hartke 4x10 for a used Peavey 4x10TX a few years ago (even swap). The Peavey handles more power and Has good lows.

You might try www.musicgoround.com for used cabs. One can usually find the 410TX for under $300.

15. BassMann2112

BassMann2112

Jun 21, 2002
    I dunno, I would stay away from Hartke all-together. After talking to Billy Sheehan for 20min or so about Bass amp's and tone. I would check out all tube AMPEG set up, and go balls out with a big speaker configuration to fit your need's. As long as you have a strong back or roadie.
    I have been very satisfied with my Trace Elliot rig for the past 10yrs. I purchased an all tube V4 last summer and let me tell ya' their is no tone like an all tube tone.
    Good luck and happy hunting.

"I've been doing the Fonda workout -- the PETER Fonda workout.
    That's where I wake up, take a hit of acid, smoke a joint, then go to my

sister's house and ask her for money."

-----Kevin Meaney

16. cwbassist

cwbassist

Aug 23, 2003
    illiniois
    I've made up my mind, I'm going with 2 aguilar gs112 cabs, a qsc power amp, and a line 6 bass POD pro for the preamp. I'll probably get one of the cabs first then work my way up to the POD