Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggestions for a small combo for use with an ABG?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Sep 26, 2002.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm entertaining picking up a small combo for my Tacoma Thunderchief, now that I installed a pickup. My guitarist has fallen in love with his SWR California Blonde acoustic amp, so I'd like to be able to keep up with a small portable rig.

I'm not talking major power here (30W?), but it needs to be very clean. Cheap, too. Maybe a 1x10?

Any suggestions from people using small amps with their ABGs?

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I wonder how an Acoustic Image Clarus would sound? I mean the combo with the downward firing 8". A lot of upright guys love these.

3. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    While I don't play an acoustic/electric bass guitar I do play an upright. I purchased the Fender Bassman 25 for my young Son, and to use as practice amp. I've used it on some trio and quartet jobs without any complaint. At $265 this thing has proven to be much more than just a little amp with its suprising amount of volume and usable tone and line (preamp) out.

Worth a listen.

4. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Man, I'd love a Clarus/Contra, but the money just ain't there - I don't gig.

That Bassman 25 looks pretty good, actually. It seems as if it may be higher quality than the typical practice amp. I like the wedge design, too - I could leave it upstairs in the new house with a bass for impromptu practice, since the main RBI/Carvin/Bag End rig is going to be living in the basement rec room. I need to go find one for a listen.

Thanks for the ideas - keep them coming!

5. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

Both the "California" and the "Strawberry" can be used for ABG's.

I read somewhere that's what Rob Allen prefers, anyhoo :).

See if your guitar pickin' bud will let you try the California :).
    According to the specs, it's rated down to 30Hz. Maybe -12dB
    @30Hz, but still...the guitarist shouldn't freak about his/her
    amp gettin' blowed-up runnin' a bass through it.

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Someone's selling a GK MB150 on bassgear.com for $500 or thereabouts. Get it before it's gone.

Or just by an SWR blonde yourself.

7. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    The blondes are some of my favorite combos. The california blonde isn't quite loud enough if i'm playing funk/rock with a drummer though.

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    A little off topic but I LOVE that amp for 6 string acoustic guitar. Sounds so thick and chunky. Wish I had one.

And now back to our regularly scheduled bass programming.

brad cook

9. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I really like his California Blonde, but it's a bit rich for my blood. And the Tacoma sounds great through it.

I did get a chance to check out a Bassman 25 with a Fender ABG tonight - very nice! I think it will do just fine. Now to find the best price on one...

10. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I have had a couple ABG in the past. My advice to you would be , use your carvin amp and one Bag End . Use the EQ on the Carvin to cut down feed back. you should be fine with that.

11. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    The Carvin is a poweramp - I'm trying to avoid dragging my rack cases and separate cab around with me for acoustic-only nights (which we're doing a lot of, now that he has his Blonde and I have my Tacoma).

A simple, good sounding combo will fit the bill, and be usable as an "upstairs" amp, too. Too bad I can't afford a G-K MB150!

Zzounds seems to be decent on pricing - about $280 to my door. The local stores want $290 plus tax, and the only local store that I'm loyal to doesn't carry Fender.