Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggestions for a Solo/Ensemble Piece

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by BrettAM, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Hey Guys,
    About a month from now I'll be performing a Solo or Ensemble piece of my choice for my Jazz Band class. I thought maybe I'd get a guitar and drummer to accompany me and play Tune Up by Miles Davis-but the idea of getting to perform a real bass solo is very very hard to refuse. I'll probably only get one or two chances to solo throughout this entire semester (if that) so I'd really like to take the opportunity here to strut my stuff.
    Usually I'd tell myself that the teacher doesn't want to hear a bunch of BS soloing, he wants to hear jazz. But I've learned that he's pretty easily impressed, so I could do a solo piece and he would be just as impressed as if I got up there and played Tune Up.
    So do you guys have any suggestions for impressive/intricate/just plain good solo pieces that I should check out. I thought maybe Donna Lee or A Portrait of Tracy but I'm open to anything.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Donna lee is a great piece...because you can do it solo or with a group. I performed it recently with 2 guitars backing me(one doing the melody with me the other holding rhythmn) it was great...we played the song in this format; head/ bass solox2/ guitar solox2/ head/ out

it was very very fun. Portrait of Tracy is such a beautiful song, I love it. Might I suggest "autumn leaves", thats a great little tune, especially when played on bass. Or if you want a challenge might I suggest "Jordu" or "Seven Steps to Heaven" both these songs are monsters played at 240 bpm(if I remember correctly) they are super songs...I did them once a while back with a small jazz combo...wow. Also "seven Steps to heaven" has a bass oriented intro that maybe if you wanted you could take some time to incorporate your own flare to it(getting a little solo bass on a combo piece)

Whatever you do, do it with heart and don't slack off. Best of Luck to you.