Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggestions for a Tacoma Thunderchief?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Apr 20, 2002.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I just snagged a Tacoma CB10 Thunderchief, which is a pure acoustic - no pickup at all.

[​IMG]

And from reading some opinions out there, that's not such a bad thing - the factory electronic options seem workable but mundane.

Does anyone here have any experience with installing pickups or mics in an ABG? The main reason I wanted the Tacoma was the wonderful tone, and I would want the amplified sound to have the same character.

Many people on the Acoustic Guitar magazine forum rave about "Pick-up the World" products, but that experience is from guitar. How about mic'd systems, or blended rigs?

In any case, I would be using an external preamp - I want a internal pickup going to a output jack, and that's it. I probably would not use a endpin jack since I prefer straplocks.

Comments and/or experiences, anyone? Maxvalentino, you out there?

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I would recommend using an endpin jack...when you're cable goes through the same hole as the jack, you shouldn't have any problem with the strap coming off the pin. Drilling a hole in the side of the guitar can weaken the wood, which is under a lot of pressure being bent like it is, which can lead to cracks or splits.
    As far as the actual pickup itself, I've always like Fishman's systems. I don't know if Sunrise makes a bass pickup, but they do sound-hole pickups, which wouldn't be too effective on a Tacoma. So I guess I would say look into Fishman Electronics.

3. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Good point about the structural issue...

I did some more searching in the archive, and see our own Bob Gollihur recommends and sells K&K Pure Bass transducers, so that's another option.

I have to wonder how well a mic system would work.

4. i have a thunderchief bass the same type and all, mine has lr baggs amp system and it carries the perfect tone your talking about, its all about the acoustics. Good choice on the bass.... hw old are you?

5. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    40 this year...why?

6. its just funny that im only 15 and i have one and your turning 40 and just getting one lo doesnt matter though joking around. later

7. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm gonna bump this one back up, since I'd really like to do something about a pickup for this!

8. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    OK, in case anyone cares or finds themselves in a similar situation (wanting to install a pickup into a ABG), I decided on a K&K UltraPure system from our own Bob Gollihur (www.URBBob.com).

The fact that it uses a pair of soundboard mounted transducers rather than an undersaddle element was very appealing, and the preamp itself is very tiny. Luckily my Tacoma already has a 1/2" endpin hole, so noting major should be required for installation.

I'll report back after it's done, which will be several weeks at least.

9. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Good luck, I am definately interested in hearing how it comes out. :)

10. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    I had heard that CB10s were available with different electrical options, but I had no idea that they came strictly acoustic.

Did you research this before making your purchase, or did you just try it in the store, fall in love with your CB10 and buy it outright... almost like I did mine? :p

Mine came with a Fishman Prefix Plus pickup and 9 volt preamp system. Plugged into the little SWR combo amp designed for acoustic instruments they had there in the store, I thought it sounded great.

Most of the time, though, I play it unplugged. This is the first acoustic bass I have ever heard which actually sounded good unamplified. Most others sound like they just took a standard guitar body and added a longer neck and bass bridge. No depth at all.

I did more research and found only one acoustic bass out there which I might have preferred: The Taylor AB1, AB2, AB3, and/or AB4, but since these are in the $2,000-$3,000 price range, fuhgedaboudit! :eek:

And at that cost, the Taylors come only with a flimsy gig bag for protection!!!:mad: Are they kidding???

When you try out a bass and find yourself waking up at odd hours dreaming about it, you gotta have it. My CB10 ran me about $800, case included, and the store threw in a strap of my choice, a humidifier, and an extra set of phosphor bronze strings, to boot.

11. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    I had only one problem with my CB10. The wires somehow came loose, from whatever had been holding them steady, and would rest upagainst the insides of the body. Many notes would make them buzz annoyingly.

I solved this by using some stratigically placed nylon tie wraps to suspend thewires in the middle.

12. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Well, I've always liked them. I was never impressed with the factory pickup options - I prefer not having a huge hole in the side of the bass for the preamp. Sure, it works well now - but what about in twenty years?

So, when Musician's Friend had a scratch-and-dent CB10 for under $600 shipped with case, I grabbed it. There was a very small area of finish damage which will take me about an hour to touch up when I get around to it. To be honest, I think it was on blowout because of a pair of messed up case latches - the damage is that minor. I locked out and ended up with one that has a very sweet voice.

The K&K UltraPure will give me the future upgrade options I want, with no permanent modifications now. They have a good reputation, too.