Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggestions for a "woody" sounding 5-str...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by burgerme, Mar 13, 2006.

1. burgerme

burgerme

Mar 3, 2006
    At this point I have a decent selection of basses, but lately I've been on a bit of a graphite kick, with Status and Modulus being my axes of choice. Love the sound/playability, but they have a tone thatis definitely their own.

Now I'm getting into playing some mellower stuff, and I'm looking for something with a really woody, warm. deep tone.

I want to be in the low to mid-level price range ($800 or less), and I will typically buy a higher end used bass over a new one for the same price.

My first bass ever was a Warwick Corvette Standard, which I liked and sorta fits the bill, but I wanted to tap the collective wisdom here for ideas before I made a decsion...

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Stick with Warwick.

3. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Warwick Streamer Stage II.

If you can afford it, it's wood. For days.

4. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    Carvin ac50 or Godin stuff comes to mind

5. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I think somebody is selling a warwick fortress on the classifieds page. Thats the woodiest of the woody IME.

6. burgerme

burgerme

Mar 3, 2006
    My TRB5p has a piezo pickup, and I don't find it particularly "woody" sounding. For me, it's more of a funk/slap bass, kindof halfway between the Graphite stuff and a Warwick.

I'll have to try a Fortress - never played one of those...

7. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I don't think they are made anymore. Those basses had more of a warm "woody" mid tone than any other warwick I've played, most of which have more bass and punch.

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think mahogany body Ibanezes sound woody. Try a SR505 or SR506.

9. Ripper

Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    NY/NC
    just a suggestion... but according to the bass player review, Wishes sound really, REALLY woody :D

10. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Walnut body, very woody sounding. Brand is tough to suggest, too much personal preference for my advice to help. But I do suggest walnut for the body if warm and woody is what you are after.

11. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Warwicks are certainly woody (warm sounding) as others have stated. If you like your Modulus and/or Status have you considered changing the amp or pickups? I know the Bart equiped Modulus basses are much warmer sounding than the EMG equiped basses. The Mesa, Eden and Aguilar (750) really warm up your sound too. Of course if you're really into trying another bass and you're looking for a darker sound you should check out the Roscoe's.;)

12. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
  13. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Godin A5.