1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suggestions for adding a little grit to my tone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RP27, Feb 12, 2016.

1. RP27

RP27

Sep 13, 2015
    I'm new to effects pedals and need some advice. I would like to add a little grit to my tone and not sure what pedal to get to accomplish this. I recently bought a swollen pickle fuzz pedal and no matter what I do its just too much distortion for the tone I want. Should I be looking into overdrive pedals? I play mostly metal with a Spector and Fender Precision. Thanks!

2. blizward

blizward

Feb 21, 2013
    Rennes - France
    Look for an overdrive instead of a distorsion. I won't be specific about any device because there are plenty of options depending if you need a transparent drive or more of an "amp in a box".

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
    hrodbert696 and Nephilymbass like this.
  3. Do you want it really clean while playing softly, and then grit when you dig in?

Do you use a pick?

What amp do you have?

Are both your Spectre and Precision passive or active?

These questions and many more variables made known will help people make recommendations.

mj_, Hi-End Basses and SunnBass like this.
  4. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    EHX Bass Soul Food is a fantastic way to add just a little bit of grit on the cheap.

5. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

Joyo American Sound. Best $30 you'll ever spend.

6. TerribleLiar23

TerribleLiar23 GNSRZRSKNVS Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2011
    RTP
    It's hard to say...Grit is a very general term. Even though you are just looking for a bit of grit, if that grit is a very specific tone, you might have to spend more just for that little bit. That could be because you run through a ton of pedals searching, or that little bit of grit you seek might happen to be inside an expensive pedal. But you might get lucky and find what you want in a reasonably priced pedal early on in your search.

tracer03 and JCooper like this.
  7. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    What? No recommendation for the Spark Booster? ;)

8. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Fultone OCD, Tech21 VT, on the less expensive end, Joyo Ultimate Drive or American Sound. There are many different pedals that do the same thing.
    As other have pointed out, you want an overdrive pedal (which basically simulates a tube amp driven into saturation) not a distortion or fuzz pedal.

9. Fairfield Barbershop will fit your bill.

10. DrewM85

DrewM85

Jan 2, 2012
    DE
    You could try a DOD 250, they are easy to find and are inexpensive.

11. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    fuzzrocious dark driving maybe?

Daniel Piper likes this.
  12. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Xotic BB Bass Preamp. I love mine for adding just a teeny bit of grit/warmth. Very "amp-like"--breaks up in a very natural way to your playing dynamics. It can go from totally clean(if you just want to use as a clean boost/eq) to full on overdrive. It's a SUPER versatile pedal, excellent EQ, you won't lose your low end(you can add more if you want!). True bypass. Not cheap, but worth every penny--a real keeper.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
    Musicman1901 and torza like this.
  13. Yep, never, ever thought I would spend $175 on a mild OD pedal, but the Barbershop is the shiznit.

14. Milo's

Milo's Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    New Hampshire
    There are a lot off options out there for you. Given that you typically pay Spectors and a Precision, I'd recommend a Darkglass Vintage Microtubes. It can be tailored to give you light grind and nails that low drive sound. It is also good with both active and passive basses.

I also really enjoyed my Fairfield Circuitry Barbershop overdrive as well. This is all purely subjective, but those are two pedals I've had good luck with.

Part of the fun of overdrive pedals is that you will likely never stop searching once you let the gene out of the bottle. Be prepared, you are about to go down a fun rabbit hole. GAS for overdrive hasn't left me yet and likely never will.

Raman and TerribleLiar23 like this.
  15. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Has anyone tried the Bass Soul Food and the Joyo American Sound together? Just curious.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  16. Rocinante_x1

Rocinante_x1 Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    Glue sandpaper (abrasive side up) on your bass. Then bury it in sand for an hour. Plug in and enjoy.

17. Snowglo

Snowglo Pro Aris et Focis Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2013
    Orygun
    U.S. Military endorsement since 1984
    +1 for the Barbershop. Slight-moderate overdrive. No fuzz, heavy distortion or tone coloration. Picked one up last month and couldn't be happier. Should have bought one years ago.

Coolhandjjl and blindrabbit like this.
  18. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I consider the Spark more of a smooth, fat overdrive and not so much a 'grit' pedal. The Spark is a much better choice than the Barbershop though, which sounds like a kazoo.

rafitoprtx and TrevorOfDoom like this.
  19. Hallic

Hallic

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe this thread helps:
    Low(er) gain, dynamic response OD pedal

There are demo in there aswell, just scroll through it
    There, the person was looking for something that could do really subtle overdrive. He ended up using a combination of Lehle Sonic Spark booster and Blueberry Overdrive

20. +1