1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

suggestions for amp - retro, 60's classic rock in style

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joelee, May 1, 2010.

1. joelee

joelee

May 1, 2010
    hello,

after being a long time guitarist i've revently taken up a spot as a bass player in band. the probablem is i've been using an amp on loan from one of my mates. and so i am now looking to by my own rig this week before we start gigging. however, while i know a thing or two about guitar amps, i have a great deal to learn about bass amps.

the bass i am using is a simi hollow hofner bass clone i've restrung with flat wounds. it's got a nice woody thump and a classic sound i am going for and i would love to aquire an amp that is complementary. the band i am in is largly acoustic, organ, and drums, so i do not foresee a need to buy anything over the top high wattage. just something modest yet suitable for small to modest size gigs (i will have the option to mic as well live). my budgit is around $300 ideally, but i could part with a few more big bills if it means finding a soul mate for the bass i love. :)

thanks mates,
    joel

2. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
  3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You may not really get that defining tone for a 300 dollar budget. Old peavey 115 combos were beastly loud, and got a relatively good tone. Other than that, Ampeg tubes is defining of retro and classic.

4. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
  5. raymondl3

raymondl3

Dec 10, 2007
    USA
    I'd recommend a 1x15 combo. That will help give you that "classic" sound and is perfect for "thump." You might want to look into a used Peavey or Fender combo. Good luck.

6. joelee

joelee

May 1, 2010
    many thanks for the replies all. yes, honestly i don't need a beast of an amp, more into tone then the power output. i know my budget sucks, but a 1x15 would likely do me well. i have indeed had my eye on acoustic amps as mentioned, as they do seem to offer a lot of bang for the buck.

fender makes some cheap solidstate amps, but im not to keen on the modern "i play metal" look a lot of them have going. can't say ive been to found of the peavy guitar amps i've played though, but ill look into ampeg...

7. joelee

joelee

May 1, 2010
  8. odysseios

odysseios

Jan 18, 2007
    Sardinia, Italy
    +1 for Fender. :)

9. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    IME, in order for an amp to handle a hofner's (or hofner type) thump, it usually takes an amp with quite a bit more power than a bass that has a more 'modern' sound, like say, a jazz bass with roundwounds on it. many of the smaller combos or smaller cabs seem to fart out or run out of power, even at medium volume levels.

$.02...............

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    +1. i have a beatle bass copy and it is the most bottomy bass i ever owned. but you can eq it to where it's not so bad. only trouble is for $300 you might not quite get the amp of your dreams, even used.

11. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    A few months back I bought a used Ampeg BA210 for $300.

If you found one of those, or if you prefer the 15" then you could look for the BA115HP (220 watts, not to be confused with the regular BA115 at 100 watts).

Either of those would be PLENTY loud for what you are describing (and have the classic black w/ white piping Ampeg styling to boot). ;)

BA210 on the left, BA115HP on the right:

[​IMG]

And *probably* loud enough for your situation, and OOZING 60's vibe would be a used B100R:

[​IMG]

As for Peavey, I know they are "iffy" on the guitar side, especially being representative of what lots of folks don't care for in a solid state amp (their tube gtr amps are, IMO, pretty darn good though), but for bass actually they do hold their own and have a lot of power on the cheap.

Good luck. :bassist:

12. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    It's hard to beat the looks and sound of an Ampeg B100R.

13. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

+!

That was a BIG part of why I suggested a higher wattage amp with a separate 1x15 cab. More headroom and the cab size is larger. Still not "ideal", but definitely a much better option than a lot of these 50-100w combos.

For $399, that 200 watt Acoustic head and 1x15 cab will be hard to beat.

14. odysseios

odysseios

Jan 18, 2007
    Sardinia, Italy
    Be careful the Ampeg BA115HP isn't a made in China one: last year i was thinking to change my Fender Bassman 250 with a much glorious Ampeg and go to tested a BA115HP with my Precision, but... simply puah! :rollno:

I held the Fender.

15. joelee

joelee

May 1, 2010

thanks for the info. the B100R is the amp i've been using on loan. while not blown away by it, it can certainly hold its own. although i have to say i hate the blue. hah. the BA210 looks like a sexy beast though. and th fact you picked one up at the price certainly looks to fit my range.

for all the finder supporters, id be curious to see what you'd suggest. thanks again mates for the time.