suggestions for amps etc

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by rossM, Jun 27, 2005.

1. rossM

Jun 27, 2005
    sydney australia
    I have been using an eccentric rig for some time - everything I read suggests this should not work . I use a fender 100 w valve head , Underwood pickup , Bose 802 , and a very good 100 yr old german flatback . I have been relatively happy with it - But recently Ive been doing gigs with a loud drummer , whose kick drum seems to set up some resonance (on hollow wooden stages particularly ) - This seems to set the back of my instrument resonating , with sme unpleasant feed back problems . I have thought about conceeding defeat and bringing the electric to the next gig . But I am interested to see if more modern amps etc may help- a friend has an acoustic image & swears all will be well if I was to use it . -Suggestions please
  2. abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I've been very happy using acoustic image heads (Focus and Clarus) with my Realist pickup. I'm not a big fan of the downward firing speaker in the contra, though. I've used either an Acme B-1 or EA VL208 with the Focus and been very happy. I just like the freedom of having a speaker you can aim at you and combine with the head for different size gigs.
  3. bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    I believe I've experienced the same type of problem in certain rooms. The kick drum is trying to occupy part of the same frequency range that the bass is, and I can feel (and hear) the sympathetic vibrations on the back of my bass.

Sometimes a guitar amp or even a vocal monitor will also make my instrument resonate (in ways that it's not supposed to that is...).

I might suggest trying to relocate yourself on stage relative to the kick drum if you can (or the guitar player's amp, or your amp, etc.), before you replace any of your gear. I'm not really sure that a different amp would solve this particular problem.

As others on TB have suggested on other threads, perhaps trying standing (or sitting) so that your body is between your bass and the kick drum. At least that should block off some of the directional sound.

P.S. I know, many stages are so cramped, and we don't always have a lot of options regarding placement of amps, people, etc. If that female singer steps on my cord and yanks it out of the amp again, well I will just ...
  4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Try dampening the afterlength of the strings with a tight wrap of felt or leather in an over-under pattern. I find most unwanted resonancies in high volume situations can be solved or improved by dampening this area.
  5. bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    If you dampen the afterlength of the strings, does this help reduce the high-pitched ringing type of "electronic" feedback, or the low booming "bass body resonating out of control" type of feedback, or both?
  6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Both, but more the lower/muddy stuff.

With the Underwood you might also try putting a mute on the bridge for really out-of-hand volume situations. It'll pinch the sound somewhat, but works. I used to play at a blues club with my Underwood (really freakin' loud) and I would start getting long and sustained low end feedback BETWEEN tunes with the strings dampened with my left hand -- the body of the bass had turned into a huge microphone and the only way to stop the feedback was by firmly grabbing the bridge. The mute trick worked -- and at those volumes the quality of sound wasn't a huge concern for me. Escpecially after the sound guy had pumped up the low end and sent me thorugh the damned subs....
  7. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I don't think the Bose 802 is part of the problem. One of the
    nice things about the Focus amp is the built in notch filter,
    as well as the built in 10 meg ohm input for the Underwood.
    The Focus should work very well with the 802, which likes to
    see a little power. The mute and string dampening should
    really help too.
  8. I recently bought an Eden Silver Series 2x8.. They are a fairly new line. I bought it to replace my Workingmans 10 and I couldnt be happier.. Its a GREAT sounding amp. Sounds great on my DB (I use a Bass MasterPro setup) and on my 6 string electric. Easily covers a jazz quartet and also has enough umph for a big band..

Go try them out. Dont like the 2x8's fool you. Its got good low end and tons of punch..

Edit: I'm not sure if it'll fix your problem by going with this amp. But its a great amp for the price so I thought I would give my opinion.
  9. I'm a fan of Eden as well for a clean. natural sound. The CXC110 is a great 1 x 10" combo that's a step up from the Nemesis.

However, I've also enjoyed using the Bose 802's for bass. The only drawback is they're not very efficient so I'd recommend driving it with more power. Maybe use a small power amp driven by a preamp that has a notch filter for removing annoying resonances, eg PreSounus AcoutiQ -