Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggestions for best practice/jam setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Jul 4, 2005.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I need everyone's suggestions for an amp (combo or cab) that is perfect for at home practice or casual jamming with a drummer and atleast one guitar. Right now I'm playing an SWR Workingmans 2x10 with a 2004 head and I'm not too thrilled with the tone. It's too sterile to my ears and just doesn't have a deeper or round enough tone. I was thinking that I should look for atleast a 15". Is this the route I should take or should I like for another 2x10?

My budget is (in theory), $2000, but obviously for the type of amp I'm looking for I shouldn't have to go that far (although I do have my eye on an Aguilar 2x12 ;)). Like I said, I'm just looking for either a combo or cab/head setup that is loud enough for jamming with a few people, and is suited for practice too (headphone amp, tuner out etc..) and has a deep, round tone with some warmth.

2. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Have you looked at the Aguilar 500-112SC combo? Most places have it for around $1300, so it's under your budget. Sounds great, and it sure as heck isn't sterile. It would be more than fine for rehearsals/jams. Definitely worth a look.

3. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Yea actually that's one I was considering, besides the 2x12. After hearing Jack Read's Aguilar rig I've had gas for them for a few years now. Would there be any drawback from going from a 2x10 to only a 1x12 or am I just confused on what roll the speaker size and amount really plays?

I also see two aguilar combo's that are 1x12...one is the AG 500-112C which is around $1600 (from MF anyway) and the other is the AG 500SC-112C which is $1400 and they don't picture it. What's the difference?

4. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    The SC is the single channel version. The other one has a separate channel that allows for a nicely overdriven sound, thus you can footswitch from the clean channel to overdrive, much like a guitar player would. That's the difference in money.

Speakers do make a big difference. The traditional thought is 15" are a big deep sound, and 10s are punchy with 12s sort of splitting the difference. Obviously this varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. Whether the difference matters to you, and whether it's worth the weight difference is something only you and your ear can determine. I happen to like the sound of 12s, but that doesn't mean you do, nor does it mean you like Aguilar 12s.

Also, cone area does bear a relation to volume. The more air you move, the louder, as a general rule, given equal wattage and speaker sensitivity.

5. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I guess I'm just really trying to figure out if I'm better off with a 1x12 or a 2x12. With the Aguilar there is a $300 difference, not to mention the weight difference. I don't plan on this thing leaving the house, but I still wouldn't want something that's ultra heavy. I'm leaning towards the 1x12, but I just want to make sure that it will sound as full and as deep as I'm looking for. No music stores around here carry Aguilar or even 1x12's beside's crappy cheap combo's, so I'm out of luck with trying before I buy.

I'm leaning toward Aguilar and just getting the cab and head seperately. It'll reduce weight and if one blows or I want to add on, it'll be easier to deal with.

6. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Can't help you with the combo, but I'm using the following setup. I jam with that same configuration you mention; one drummer and one guitar... and both like to play loud too.

SVT-3Pro Ampeg Head
    SVT-410HLF - 4x10 Cabinet
    Ampeg-210 - 2x10 Cabinet

The 410 cabinet is a hunker and real heavy but sounds great. I trust my friend and practice location so that one I leave on location.

I keep the 2x10 cabinet at home for practice.

I have the SVT-3Pro head with a Korg Tuner mounted in a 3-space Ampeg rack.

When I move from one location to the other, all I need to carry is my amp head and bass.

I got good deal on all three those pieces and I think everything totaled up to ~$1,500.

I'm really happy with that direction because it also gives me the flexibility to change speakers (or stack them) if needed in the future.

Good luck.

7. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Forgot to say....

I like the sound a lot, mainly with the 410. To me it sounds just like the sound you are looking for.

8. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I decided to go with an Aguilar AG 500-112C combo. I found a good deal on an NFS (not factory sealed, guaranteed perfect condition, full manufacturer warranty and 45 day return) off of Music 123 for $1339. I realized that the size of a 2x12 right now would be rediculous for what I'm doing, not to mention the weight and cost. The 1x12 has more wattage that what I'm using now, should I need it, and I can always add another 1x12 later for only a few hundred. I could have gotten the single channel model for $180 less (NFS), but I thought I might never know when I may want that nice warmy tubey channel.

9. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Enjoy it, and let us know what you think.