1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suggestions for blown horn in cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BlacksHole, Nov 5, 2010.

1. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I have an older Dr. Bass 2x12 (I believe it was called an RS212) and recently the horn started making popping sounds. I believe this is the sign of a blown driver. At this point, I may not be able to get much help from Marc at Dr. Bass as the threads in the past couple of years imply that there is real trouble at Dr. Bass.

Regardless, I would prefer to change the horn driver myself and I believe I should use one with a higher handling capacity since I apparently blew the existing (I had it dialed in at about halfway). Could someone make a recommendation for a replacement driver/horn for this application?

TIA for any suggestions.

2. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    If it were my cab the first thing I'd do would be to examine the cab's wiring, including the crossover wiring. Look for anything loose, cold solder joints, etc.

If I didn't find any problems there, then I'd verify that the crossover is well-designed. I'll spare you the gory details -- if you describe it here, we can tell you if it is. A close-up pic would be good. Or maybe someone else here has the same cab and he can describe it. (Credit to Bill F here, who has made me aware that some cabs have problems in this area.)

I'd make sure those two things are out of the way before proceeding.

3. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
  4. truebass

truebass

Jun 15, 2010
    If it were my cabinet I would consider the fact that the horn is a POS and I would shoot it out with my AK... No, seriously, horns on bass sound like hissy crap. Pull it out and leave it out, you'll thank me later.

5. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    My rx212 came with a $5.99 Pyle "pro" in there. I blew it up after using the cab with an amp with a loose input jack. An Eminence APT80 is a direct fit, sounds decent, although you'll probably dial back the attenuator a little bit more.

6. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    But it isn't your cab, is it? ;)