Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggestions for body shape

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Half-fast, Apr 2, 2003.

1. I'm building a 4-string Lightwave Bass. I would like some suggestions for a body shape. here is one I'm thinking of using. Does this look OK or is it too odd?
    http://fleishmaninstruments.com/Bass/FILE-8.JPG
    Thanks for your comments / suggestions.

2. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    While it certainly is non-traditional, I think it looks good. You're the only one who can decide what you want your bass to look like.

3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    The luthier Kenneth Lawrence has built a bass using Fleishman's design, but he conferred with Fleishman and got explicit permission before he did it. Check the page on Bunnybass - especially the story at the middle of the page.

As to whether it "looks too odd" - the question that matters is, how does it look to you?

4. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    if you are going to use Harry's design you might shoot him an email and see if it's cool with him.

He is a great guy, and I am sure he will have no problem with it.........

Darrin

5. I emailed Mr. Fleishman to ask for his permission to use his design. I'm not building this to sell, it will be my own personal instrument. As this is my first attempt I doubt that anyone would want to buy it.:D
    I have a nice slab of Bubinga for the body and a 7 piece Curly Maple / Bubinga laminated neck blank.
    I'll post some pics as I make progress. Until I receive permission to use Mr. Fleishman's design, the final shape is still undecided.

6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I do think it's an attractive design. I've liked it since I first saw it.

Interesting how Kenneth Lawrence continues to use the pointed-tip horns to this day.