1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suggestions for Car Subs/speakers? HELP!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by gold_member_321, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Im looking for a fairly good sized system ( roughly overall 1200 or so, including subs and speakers), and not all out in price, basically Im looking for the best bang for the buck, but I have no idea what to buy or look for.

Thanks for any suggestions and whatnot.

gold

2. It Will work. Trust me Im black:smug:

3. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

Are you looking for the most SPL, best sound quality, a trade off between the two? What features are you looking for in the head unit (MP3, aux input, USB input, etc)? What vehicle is this going into?

4. Geoff St. Germaine

5. I was looking for something more along the lines of a woofer suggestion, not already in an enclosure, because I plan on building my own, but thanks for the suggestions.

Does anyone have any more suggestions on subs? and some good 6x9 speakers

6. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    1) Decide how many $$$ you will spend
    2) Choose components based on reputation for quality, NOT advertised features.
    3) Buy an overall system that will do exactly what you want it to do. Buy the head unit with the right amount of power and correct number and type of outputs (active/passive), then buy the appropriate speakers, amps and subs to go with the system and the vehicle.

Example: I bought a simple Alpine CD player ($130) that is of good quality but without any fancy features I won't use. It has about 25 watts each to a pair of front speakers and a pair of rear speakers, and a low pass line out for a seperate amp and subwoofer. The fronts, rears and subs are Infinity Kappas and the subwoofer amp is Kenwood. All components have a reputation for excellent sound and good quality, and are fairly expensive, yet not ridiculous, in price.

Avoid the temptation to buy cheaper brands in order to get more wattage per dollar or more features you'll rarely use; you will regret it.

7. Its going in a 2000 Monte Carlo SS with a stock cd unit, should I replace the cd player/unit as well?

8. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois

Infinity Kappas all around.

They are the best sounding speakers I've ever used and the only way to get better is to pay "boutique" prices.

I have a pair of the 12" subs and put them in a homemade sealed enclosure about 1 cubic foot per driver.

Two of my friends also have the Kappas and they love 'em.

9. you have to build the box. thats only the plans and end resulsts

10. i would think that the OP still wants his/her trunk. a low profile design is really favorable nowadays and besides with the cones being closer to the floor/bedpan the Spl will increase as if the drivers were hornloaded or in a Bp6 configuration

11. Geoff St. Germaine

Any possible horn loading effects will not make up for the displacement advantage that something like a single TC Sounds TC-1000 12" will have for less money ($169 shipped for the TC-1000 vs $190 + shipping for the 4 TB 6.5"s). The TC-1000 only needs 1.1 ft^3 sealed or 1.6 ft^3 ported (tuned to 31 Hz). If the depth is a real concern to the OP (which he hasn't mentioned) there are shallow mount subs available. I think that JL just introduced one (I saw one at a local shop and IIRC it was a JL).

12. Yes. I replaced mine for my future speaker system. I have a little cheapie Kenwood that was on sale... but it has things that regular stock units don't.

13. Rakie

Rakie Let me take you down, 'cause I'm going to...

I lol'ed

14. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    try to find some old school Resonant Engineering SE's I used a single 12..

Back when I was competing in SQ and DB Drag events I used just about everything known to man..

And for SQ with a lot of low end punch the RE SE was wonderful and can take a ton of abuse..

for the SPL side of things I used RE MT10's with enough power to make some of you sick.. hahaha

Competing in SPL competitions was a huge hobby for me, but it got to the point I was spending a ton of money for a 10th of a Db more. And I just burned out after about 3 seasons. It was fun though.

There is alot of videos on realmofexcursion.com of some of my setups which was very similar I used a 93 Bonneville. We both have full size cars.

If you need help on box design feel free to ask I built for a few local shops and for customers back then as well.

15. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    You're going to want to replace your in-dash cd player, and maybe even the component speakers.

As far as your subwoofer goes, a single 10' will do the job if you're into sound quality.

If you want the power, go for two 12's.

I opted for the 10' and it sounds great; handles the lows really well.

I went with Infinity components, which have excellent high range.

I have a JVC head with a 3-band EQ for the components as well as a seperate subwoofer volume adjuster thing that goes from 0 to 10.