Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggestions for changes in profile fields

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by paul, Jan 26, 2004.

1. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Now would be a great time (as the forum upgrade is touched up) to do a changeup of our custom profile fields (gigs, influences, setup, etc). Is there a profile field you'd like to see added? Removed? Modified?

One thing I will be doing is making more room with multiple-line fields so we won't have to limit the length so much.

Also, keep in mind that profile fields will be searchable after the upgrade - this may give you some more ideas...

Thank you for your input!

2. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    ...copying to OT for increased visibility :)

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    maybe the ability to keep three or four different avatars saved on the server just for the "secret squirrel" in us.

thankeeee

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    GAS list.

It would help guys search for people interested in gear they might be willing to sell or trade.

Peace
    Nick

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    A short 'bio' spot would be nice.

6. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Could we have it so that profiles are searchable? (i.e. search for people in the Seattle area, own Brand XYZ bass...)

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Maybe an edit to prevent silly locations?

8. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    NO! I like my silly location!!

9. odie

odie Supporting Member

bump

10. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    That's my vote, along with:

I like that too, especially the location part.

About the silly locations, I think that if people want to put that, then we should let them. They just won't make the email list for their local get together: their loss ;)

11. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    +1

Also, a section for hobbies would be interesting.

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    As Paul already said, the profiles will be searchable. I just thought Id say that so you guys would stop asking for something that is already going to happen and Paul doesnt have to scrape through that stuff to get to the rest of it.

Peace
    Nick

13. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    don't you remember that show? about the undercover squirrel?

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree this is the one big thing that would improve profiles - forcing people to put an actual location - otherwise searchable profiles is just waste of time!! :meh:

So particularly as there are fewer UK members, for example it makes a big difference - as I or other UK members can help more and give advice on prices, local shops etc.

But if people leave location blank or with some kind of silly thing like "behind you" :rolleyes: - then it is impossible to know and provide more help.

It would also be useful to be able to search those who are near - to see if they are interested in exchange of gear, local events - like bass clinics e.g. the one I attended with Steve Lawson and Michael Manring etc etc.

BUT - none of this will work - unless we have a location field that is mandatory and is from a drop-down list - so people can't put stupid things!

15. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    If people don't put their real location, then it is their fault that they won't get the help they could be getting, and they won't get the local gear deals, and they won't get the invite to the local parties and gigs. If people don't want to, it shouldn't be mandatory.

16. Bruce Lindfield

Well - the point is that if you want to make the fact that you can search the profiles - a benefit or significant feature - then you have to have some mandatory fields or it is a complete waste of time.

If everybody can leave their profile blank or with gibberish, then there is no point in searching them!

I think it would be a good feature if there is something like a mandatory location field - if not, then I can see no benefits in having a searchable profile and I wouldn't use it!

17. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    But the fact is, everybody doesn't put gibberish in there.

18. Bruce Lindfield

But the point is - if it is a free text field, how can you search?

Even if everybody has put "real" locations, they will almost certainly have put slightly different spellings or formats and every one will be different.

Whereas if you had a drop down menu to choose the country - so US, UK etc etc - then this would be very useful and you could find everybody in a certain area - but if people (as they do) have included abbreviations, different levels of detail, then it is impossible to search successfully!

So - if one person has put "Boston MA" and another has put "USA" , another has put "United States" - there is no way you can get all three, in one search. Whereas a drop-down mandatory field would have "caught" them all!!

19. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Some people dont feel safe using their real location.

I do see Bruce's point. Maybe a box with dropdowns to choose from or a seperate box t use if you dont want to use one of the ones provided.

Peace
    Nick

20. Bruce Lindfield

Well... I don't see how just saying which county e.g. USA,UK or Canada etc. could diminish your safety? :confused: