1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

suggestions for cheap 4 track simultaneous recording

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by origami, Apr 26, 2006.

1. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    hello,

i want to dump all my old 4 tracks recordings from the olden days into my computer to mix. i already have an old magic cakewalk program, but with my current soundcard or the limitations of the software, i think you can only record one stero track a time.

because of tape wow and flutter i cannot dump the tracks one at a time (they won't ever be recorded exactely at the same speed). therefore i need to do all 4 tracks at the same time (simultaneously).

what can i do to do this cheaply...

i have thought of going the HD recorder route, or the souncard/software route.

mm

2. Obviously the cheapest option would be to mix it down to stereo, but that's not ideal.

The next best thing would be to borrow (or buy) a USB or firewire interface with four inputs. The lower grade ones (with RCA inputs only) are quite cheap and would work sufficiently well.

Another option I thought of would be to record them in two lots and then time stretch/compress them to match. But, that's a hell of a lot of work and is likely to result in dubious quality. Plus, you need a program capable of doing it, like Ableton Live.