Suggestions for Class D amp for Alembic F-2B Preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by corvettedcg, Aug 20, 2017.

1. For years I was using a Crown DC300A Series II with my Alembic F-2B preamp. Recently I picked up a used Fender Rumble 150 head on Craigslist (for $60!) and became intrigued with a light Class D solution (my back and I aren't getting any younger). Although I find the Rumble a great amp for its size, weight, and cost, I'm missing the Alembic F-2B sound. Therefore, I'm thinking of pulling out the F-2B again but this time mating it with a small Class D amp module, something like a B&O IcePower module or a PowerSoft DigiMod module. I could probably fit it all in a 3U rack, or maybe even a 2U if I placed the Class D module behind the F-2B. Anyone do anything similiar? Any sources for IcePower or DigiMod modules other than eBay?

2. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Medina
    Peavey DPC1400X.
    25071644.jpg

Jefenator likes this.
  3. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    If you want a robust module with factory support for a DIY build Hypex is probably your best bet, IMHO.

4. Spectre1966

Spectre1966 Striving For Mediocrity Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Wallingford, CT
    If you like the sound of the Crown but you are concerned with weight and size, why not get another Crown, like an XLS series? Very light, powerful, and with the Alembic, it will fit in a 3U case.

BasturdBlaster likes this.
  5. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    If you haven't already, maybe try piping your preamp into the Fender effects return, assuming it has one. It might be good. It might be good enough for now, or it might not be what you're after at all.

Jefenator likes this.
  6. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    If you have a budget:
    Bass Amplification
    The "minnie" 800 watt power amp should fit the bill.
    You might want to just look at one of the integrated heads for maximum practicality - the whole rack mount system may not be the best way to exploit the benefits of Class D IMHO.

7. Thank you. I went ahead and gave it a try and I'm liking the sound of the F-2B into the power amp section of the Rumble 150. The Crown DC300 feels louder but the Rumble 150 is certainly usable, especially considering the weight savings.

(The Rumble 150 is listed as 160 watts @ 4 Ohms in the User's Manual. The Crown DC300 is listed as 250 watts @ 4 Ohms per channel.)

I'll probably keep an eye out on eBay for a higher wattage IcePower module and I'll swap that for the 50ASX2 that's currently in the Rumble 150. Then I can use the Rumble as a quick "grab and go" high-power head, but I can also pair it with the F-2B when I'm in the mood.

BadExample likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021