Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggestions for compact rock rig???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bigwan, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Hi guys,

I'm setting about rethinking my rig and want to downsize as far as I possibly can. I'm currently using 2 1x15 homemade cabs that have served me really well, but they are killing my back. Amp wise i'll be sticking with either my Ashdown ABM 500 watt, or goinf with an Ampeg SVP pre and QSC power amp.

I'm looking for some suggestions on what size of cabs I could get away with which could still compete with 2 Marshall half stacks and a heavy handed drummer... Only 4 string work presently - drop D tuning is as low as I go!

I'm considering 2 1x12 cabs but am concerned that I wont keep up without PA support (which I don't usually have! Medium sized venues mostly - nothing too big). Would 2 Aguilar 1x12 cabs do the job.

Would 2 2x10 cabs be a better choice, or maybe a mixture of the 2?

Cheers

Ian

2. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Maybe you could go a 2x12 and 2x10? I've never played two seperate 12's on their own, but i have played a few 212's.. Most were fairly loud and my favourite out of them would be the Eden. Nice cab, although it's not really a downsize, that's all. I suppose it saves you taking two seperate cabs in, and with help from a band mate it'd be easy.

Also, going from a 2x15 rig to say a single 12 or 210 rig is going to be a big sound difference.. two 12's might be a bit more closer to what your used to.

3. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I'd give Jorg a look with his Schroeder cabs.

Link: http://schroedercabinets.com .

Should be loud enough for anything, depending on what model you get.

Maybe get one of those new 3101212 cabs? That would be overkill, for sure. A 2101212 (2x10+2x12) may be better, or maybe just a 410 (4x10).

If you want to go with two cabs, a couple 1012 cabs will likely be hard to beat.

4. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    +1 on the Schroeder suggestion.

But be careful with impedance. I *think* that Schroeders can only be had as 4-ohm cabs; running two in parallel would present a 2-ohm load to the amp.

So make sure the power section can handle a 2-ohm load, or look at a larger, single cab rather than two.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    What sound are you going after? Do you like super sparkly high end? If not, and if your head or rack setup can handle a 2 ohm load (or two 4 ohm loads), then two EA Wizzy 1x12 offer incredible tone/volume in a very compact (and light weight) package.

The Schroeder cabs are also an excellent suggestion. They are very full, very loud, and have a strong low-mid presence.

Tom.

6. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    The schroeder cabs have always been number one on the list, but I was wondering if anybody had any other suggestions...

I would probably spring for either 2 1210s or a 1210+1212 stack (can't get the bigger cabs here in the UK - shipping is restricted to the smaller cabs due to weight). I'd have to go with a pre+power setup though (ashdowns will only do 4 ohms... more dough!!!)...

I'd say it'd be a sweet rig.

To answer tombowlus's question - I'm looking for a really punchy but full fingerstyle sound. Not too sparkly in the high end, but enough high end to hear a bit of grit in the sound.

7. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    If he gets a poweramp, he'll be fine with two. But his Ashdown will only handle a single Schroeder.

Sorry for not including that in my first post. :bag:

8. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    I'd thought of that...

I was considering offloading the ashdown, but I may hold on to it as a backup. That way I could technically have 2 practise rigs (Ashdown and 1 cab; pre+power and 2nd cab) and a combined gigging rig (pre+power and 2 cabs).

I'll also be holding on to my 1x15 homemade cabs... just in case I need a RIG OF DOOM!!!

9. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Personally, I'd keep the Ashdown as a back-up unless you need the cash.

And that would be the ultimate rig of doom. Two Schroeder cabs with two more 1x15 cabs. Running a 2.6 ohm load off of each side of a poweramp, overkill. Or, you could run the 15's on one side and Schroeders on the other (2 ohms and 4 ohms per side). :hyper:

10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    my rig is pretty compact.

a demeter preamp in one 2 space rack, a stewart 2.1 poweramp in another 2 space rack, a bag end s15-d, and a bag end s12-d.

the only thing i lack (but am saving to get) is either a ruxxac or kart a bag collapsable hand truck in order to be able to wheel it in all at once.

of course, a qsc plx amp would be just as light, and you may like another preamp better. a three or four space rack wouldnt be all that much heavier, and you might like other compact cabs (such as ea wizzies, aguilar 1x12, epifani 1x12, shroeder 1210s, or bergantino 1x12 to name a few). two of any of these would also be killer.

loud? forget about it. i compete with a 100 watt marshal plexi no problem.

expensive? well, yeah. :meh: