1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

suggestions for deep cut on finger with gigs coming up tomorrow-wkend?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by redhouserocks, Dec 5, 2017.

1. redhouserocks

redhouserocks

Apr 16, 2013
    Anyone have any suggestions for getting through some gigs this week with a deep cut on the pad of my right index finger? (I'm a right-handed player btw) I went to the doctor and "could" have gotten a stitch or two but then I would have had two thread knots right where I pluck the bass strings. In the past, I've superglued a few smaller cuts together and that worked out fairly well, but this one is quite a bit worse. I was thinking of maybe cutting the end off the finger of a surgical glove and taping it down further down my finger or something like that. Just curious if anyone else has faced this and has a good solution? We play tomorrow night through the weekend. If you're curious how it happened, I was on the beach attaching bait to drop from my camera drone ... we were taking it out about 600 feet offshore and dropping it down where fish were (even though we kept catching (and releasing) little sharks). On about the 5th time we did it, my friend who was holding the rod let a little too much slack in the line right when it took off, so it was hovering about 4 feet in the air and I reached out to untangle it from the bottom, misjudged and BLAM, props cut the #$^#$** out of the side of my thumb and almost took my fingertip off. Lesson learned to say the least. Anyway, thanks for any recommendations that may have worked for anyone else. I haven't posted very much so I hope this is in the right place. Thanks. (I have the GoPro footage of when it happened but there's too much cursing on it to upload ... mainly from everyone but me since it started bleeding so fast)

2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    rock-on-pick-blue-342x270.

3. I thought they had alternatives to stitches and staples, like a really strong tape or something. Short of a tape or glue to hold it together, you're going to have to devise a thimble-like cover of some sort. Maybe a moleskin thimble?

4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    superglue

City, jumbodbassman, lexefx and 16 others like this.
  5. Superglue it, and shift as much as you are able to the thumb and middle finger. Bump the volume a bit so you can soften your attack. Keep the superglue handy for touch ups during the show.

lexefx, TrevorOfDoom, Loopy3 and 6 others like this.
  6. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    Superglue, maybe a plastic bandaid to protect the glue, and lots and lots of painkillers.

hogman22 and redhouserocks like this.
  7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I broke my right index finger in late August, and had it in a splint for two months. Because of that, I also could not use a pick. I used a LOT of middle finger, and a little ring finger. Had to simplify a few parts, but got by. I figured if one finger was enough for Jamerson...

TrevorR, jnewmark, Andre678 and 2 others like this.
  8. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    When i was in the machining business i played several times with cut up/stitched up fingers. The times it was a plucking finger i simply shifted to my ring finger and the remaining uncut regular plucking finger. It will surprise you how quickly you can adapt.
    The only other thing i’d say is bring a large dark towel in case there’s blood. The first time i played with a cut plucking finger it was cut on the side opposite of the one used against the strings so i could play as usual, but it didn’t take long to open the wound and blood to flow. Bleeding was bad enough but i was playing a white bass so it was something of a horror show in spite of wiping the worst of the blood off between songs.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  9. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    Glue. Tape. Suck it up. Profit.

You’ll get blood on your PG, most likely. Good mojo there.

10. redhouserocks

redhouserocks

Apr 16, 2013
    haha my first thought, but I haven't played with a pick in ... well, ever. Something bad would happen :)

11. redhouserocks

redhouserocks

Apr 16, 2013
    fhm555 yes mine is a blonde p-bass, so it would probably be bad ... I failed to mention in my original post that I only play with my fingers, never used a pick unless it was a seriously long time ago and I forgot.

12. redhouserocks

redhouserocks

Apr 16, 2013
    Thank you guys ... I think I'm gonna try the tip of a surgical glove taped to my finger up by my hand and maybe put something slippery on it haha. I also have a j-bass that I don't gig with that I have taped strings on ... maybe I'll try that so that the rounds don't rip the superglue and plastic off. It was a gusher when it happened so I imagine if it splits open during a song it'll be bad. Thanks again.

13. Skeptismo

Skeptismo

Sep 5, 2011
    Washington
    Don't tape it so tight that you lose circulation to your fingertip. You can check for capillary refill on your nail pretty easily. Best of luck! (take pictures)

14. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    My guess is you’ll play harder to overcome tape dullness and there will be blood.

Not a fan of your idea that a fingertip of a vinyl glove will do the trick except as a containment vessel.

Best advise is to use the other fingers, you’ll be amazed how quickly, etc., and you lower the Red Cross donation factor considerably

15. If it's very deep, I'm not sure about glue. I use Liquid Bandage a lot in the winter months for cracks in my skin, but if it's cut down into the tissue I wouldn't be using glue.

Maybe if it's a really clean cut I might be tempted to squeeze it together in a tight seal and try for gluing the surface skin together, but not if it's jagged. Sounds pretty risky.

shodan likes this.
  16. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    Deal with it.
    ?temp_hash=50a3e29621bb88b6cfc48dadca791d97.
    ?temp_hash=50a3e29621bb88b6cfc48dadca791d97.
    I used superglue. It lasted a song or two.

Oh, and this was day 1 of a 4 day tour.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  17. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    Skip the fast licks and just play with your middle finger. When I lost the middle finger on my right hand, it took me about a month to learn to use the ring finger instead. You don't have a month, but you might try using middle and ring fingers

redhouserocks likes this.

18. At the local drug store/pharmacy, look for something called "finger cots" they're sometimes thicker than nitrile/latex gloves and roll on the finger tip like a condom so they fit snugly. If you look around you can also find 5 percent lidocaine creme over the counter. It's pretty strong. Do a test run; it lasts about two hours. You don't want to use so much that you can't feel that you're on the string. For the finger cots try a real medical supply house. For the lidocaine call around to real pharmacies avoiding places like CVS and Rite Aid.

Mugre

19. I was going to post super glue but you seem to feel that wont work. The other option is a pick.

20. inanimate_carb

inanimate_carb

Aug 11, 2016
    Lots of inexperienced people just guessing here. This is usually harmless if the guessing is about gear or how recordings are made, but it’s dangerous if permanent physical injury is possible. I know you guys hate authoritative delivery and the voice of years of practical experience onstage, but here goes :

Without the reinforcement of sutures, any sort of finger plucking, with or without coverings or added protection, is going to make your injuries even worse over the course of a four hour gig. It's simple physics, and you guys with the "crazy glue and duct tape" suggestions are out of your minds. Bear in mind this is a paying gig that involves playing full-blast a LOT in a four hour period, not the 15 minutes of attempting to play “YYZ” with a gentle touch and putting the bass down as is the province of most TB members. In addition, it’ll probably expose you to infection in a nasty bar/club environment that you don’t want to deal with. Don’t underestimate this, especially if you’re prone to having a few beers during the course of the evening.

Play the gig with a pick and explore the world of playing less notes. And get stitched up.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017