1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

suggestions for deep cut on finger with gigs coming up tomorrow-wkend?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by redhouserocks, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    upload_2017-12-5_19-50-3.

2. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    If it’s a punk band, he should be using his middle finger enough already.

Nev375 likes this.
  3. Shishka Bob

Shishka Bob

May 28, 2017
    CT
    Cut the tip off of a surgical glove. Place this on the affected finger. Dip this in a can of liquid rubber - the kind of stuff you use to dip the handles of pliers, screw drivers, etc. in. Dip the finger in just a little deeper than the glove tip comes up, so you seal it to your finger. Pick a color that either contrasts or compliments your bass. Should last the weekend.

4. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Recently I cut the pad of my finger two hours before a gig. I used a product called New skin and covered the wound with a band aid. I was fine all night.

squidtastic and redhouserocks like this.
  5. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I'm a machinist, super glue has been my best friend (not that I cut myself very often). One can easily remove with a clippers, clean and reapply. Will take a few coats but once set actually allows the digit to be usable. I will never get stitches again if avoidable as being able to use my fingers in a dexterous manner is chief.

redhouserocks and bdplaid like this.
  6. briandavismurph

briandavismurph Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Chicago
    this stuff is good, get it at walgreens

Attached Files:

redhouserocks and Saetia like this.
  7. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    you could put a cut on your left index finger for a sense of symmetry.

8. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    New skin doesn't hold up to the rigour of my job.

9. jeffmensch

jeffmensch Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2012
    Cambridge, Ontario
  10. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Not trying to pound super glue home but it was originally intended as a liquid suture haha. Helped me heal this in a most comfortable manner. Healed much quicker and uniformly than any stitches I've ever had. 20171205_211718.

redhouserocks likes this.
  11. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    Electrical tape followed by duct tape. If you don't take it easy , you'll be tearing apart stuff that has begun to heal ..! Which might lead to more scarring and maybe nerve damage ..!??!

PWRL likes this.
  12. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    If you can't use a pick, then use your thumb! And maybe tape up all your picking fingers with gauze and some surgical tape, so you don't accidentally jump in with them...

13. If it’s bad enough for stitches I can only recommend that you find a substitute. It’ll rip open, causing more damage,leading to a longer healing time , leading to more time off etc. If you must play you’ll have to use other fingertips obviously. But if you’re not used to using your ring finger you could easily injure yourself, possibly seriously, by suddenly relying on it.

14. TheLowDown33

TheLowDown33 Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    NJ
    Pick, or play with your middle and ring fingers/ double thump.

15. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    what pussies we have become...

OUCH!! If you got that and worked through it, then you are on my father's level - who band-sawed his finger open to the bone, put on Mercurochrome and a bandaid, and went back to work.

Anyway, when I have finger issues, I slap the string with my thumb. I slap pretty well anyway, but I just use my thumb knuckle rather than fingers. I turn down the tone and play more lightly rather than hammer it like I do when I'm doing some funk song.

16. Go to a drug store and look for a skin glue.

17. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I have a cut on the tip of the middle finger on my right hand that won't heal and keeps getting worse cuz I keep on playing with it. This weekend was bad, because it's becoming painful. In the past I've grinned and bared it, but I'm starting to get concerned about infection, permanent damage, and bloodstains on my instruments and clothes.

My solution:

Held the cut closed and had my wife put a dab of super-glue on. Let it dry and painted a little larger section. Let that dry, and did it once more, painting most of the tip of my finger (I'm assuming you know they make superglue that comes with a brush). It worked for a while, but wouldn't last three sets. I had to resort to using a pick a lot, which I hate doing, giving my pointer double duty, and using my ring finger - which I never do. It wasn't fun, and it threw my focus off a bit, but I survived.

Had to play again the next night and decided to use the glue again, but to re-glue my finger between sets, and do my best to play as lightly as possible. It worked.

That's all I got.

redhouserocks likes this.
  18. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

^This.

Or use your thumb and simplify a little...

^Or this. (I've used this one before. It works out pretty well - and you do catch on to it pretty quickly.)

19. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Bad. Very bad Joe. Watch out for nerve damage.

You definitely want to switch to a pick until that heals.

Joe Nerve likes this.
  20. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    Many years ago, I got a big splinter in my right index finger that got infected. My finger swelled up and looked like a sausage, and I had to have the splinter removed by a doctor two days before a big New Year's Eve gig. There was no way I could use that finger, so I played all night with my middle and ring finger. I had never used my ring finger before, but got through the gig without too much trouble. The cool thing is that I've been able to use my ring finger since then.