1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

suggestions for deep cut on finger with gigs coming up tomorrow-wkend?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by redhouserocks, Dec 5, 2017.

1. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Once the bleeding’s truly stopped (superglue?), I like to put a band-aid over the top of the finger, then wrap with skin tape. It holds up a couple of sets, at least.

2. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    You still have 12+ hours to learn how to play with a pick (or other fingers)

redhouserocks likes this.
  3. Admiral Akbar

Admiral Akbar

Mar 12, 2013
    New York
    I would recommend getting some adhesive steri-strips, and a cloth band-aids.

First, clean the wound with alcohol, allow to dry. Next apply steri-strips to tape wound closed. They aren't exactly stitches, but they will be helpful. Check Amazon for steri-strips. Finally wrap the fingertip With band-aid to secure the steri-strips.

At the gig, have some bacitracin, rubbing alcohol, steri-strips, and band-aids. You can change band-aids between sets.

You will lose tactile sense because of all the bandage, but you will be able to play. This has gotten me through some tough upright gigs.

Good luck, and speedy recovery!

Also: if the finger becomes red, swollen, hot, painful regardless of whatever dressing you may or may not use -- more so than before, please seek medical attention. You don't want to deal with a cellulitis infection.

Johnny Crab and redhouserocks like this.
  4. five7

five7 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Denver
    play with your thumb. doesn't need to be slap.

StayLow likes this.
  5. foolforthecity

foolforthecity Supporting Member

Man, you're definitely born again hard!

6. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown

Feb 16, 2011
    +1 to all the folks recommending CA. I read an article years ago about SRV using superglue to close cuts on his fingers.

7. sawzalot

sawzalot Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    My index finger recently lost an argument with a woodworking tool and I got a pretty nasty cut on it--I can tell you based on that experience that band-aids, surgical gloves, medical tape, etc are no match for roundwound bass strings. They will tear through it in a very short time.

If it's a really deep cut, the long-term health of your hand is more important than one gig. Practice playing without that finger--use your thumb, slap, play simpler lines with your middle finger, whatever it takes to get through the gig without tearing that finger up any farther.

Tom

8. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    If you take a blood thinner or take a daily aspirin, cancel the gig. Experience speaking here. I would get the stitches and use a fat felt pick.

StayLow and redhouserocks like this.
  9. 2112

Apr 30, 2005

Strong username-to-post-content correlation...

Seriously I would consider finding a sub and taking the week off. If the injury is so severe that you have turned to the Talkbass Doctor's Lounge for ideas beyond using other fingers or a pick, it's probably time to see a real doctor. Any temp repair job won't last long up there. Gigs are nasty environments, the last thing you want is to get an infection in your finger which could lead to more serious injury, or worse.

StayLow and redhouserocks like this.
  10. redhouserocks

redhouserocks

Apr 16, 2013
    haha wow I'm now thinking of wearing a crappy shirt!

2112 likes this.
  11. Manticore

Manticore

Feb 27, 2016
    SoCal
    Thumb, middle and ring finger ought to do it.

12. redhouserocks

redhouserocks

Apr 16, 2013
    As much as I hate to admit it, this sounds like good advice ... and yeah we pretty much are sponsored by Coors Light (not really, but we should be). I think the first one tomorrow is ... a Christmas "formal" for the University of South Alabama, meaning sorority girls hired us and it pays a lot so I didn't want to ass it up. (yeah we're old but for some reason we keep getting these gigs ;) ... and did I mention that they pay a lot? I may just go get it stitched up in the morning. All I could go to when it happened was a doc in the box sort of place since it was Sunday.

StayLow and inanimate_carb like this.
  13. redhouserocks

redhouserocks

Apr 16, 2013
    inanimate_carb I think I'm responding to your actual post, but I'm sorta new at this board and posted a reply, but I wanted to add that yes, we pretty much get hired to play for four straight hours for most of our gigs ... we're sort of an everything 3 piece cover band lucky to have a great singer/guitarist ... problem with finding a sit-in is that most of my friends are scale players (who are way better than me) but they don't know how our band does the songs,etc to make people remember us. Again, thanks for the honest advice, maybe I'll just go get it stitched up in the morning.

inanimate_carb likes this.
  14. redhouserocks

redhouserocks

Apr 16, 2013
    wow, that's similar to mine ... mine may not even be quite that bad ... can't really tell since I've had it duct taped since I went to the doc. I'm trying to find a pic that my wife took right after it happened.

15. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Play with your thumb. Get stitched and bandaged up. See if they have flesh colored bandages.

You DO NOT want to be grinding crap from your strings into an open wound. Any infection that gets into your blood stream puts your life at risk.

Good luck with the gig.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    foolforthecity likes this.
  16. davegt666

davegt666

Jun 30, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I'd probably get a Herco Thumb pick and play the show like that.

I wouldn't risk the cut opening up more.

17. Frampton

Frampton Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2010
    NY
    First off, get it stitched if the doctor says you need it stitched. Don’t mess with your health just because it would be inconvenient. You’re risking infection and a wound not healing properly. That’s not going to help your bass playing. That said, I don’t know what type of music you’re playing. Can you get away with one finger - the middle finger? If not, I would think about using a surgical glove covered with a thin tight fitting fabric glove. It’ll be clunky for sure, but it’s going to be tough no matter what you do.if you can, though, just get it taken care of and let it heal up. It sucks to sit out, but there’ll be other gigs.

18. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    Mercurochrome-
    it gets way in there and it contains lidocaine. At night I use polysporin a bandage and lots of medical cloth tape. Wash them good and soak a few minutes, if you can stand it. Listen to your doctor.

19. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    61OBNYBMi7L._SX524_.

20. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    I'd be giving the gig a miss if possible, failing that, use the other fingers and keep the injured one covered and away from playing til it heals. Those rubber finger cover things won't last the night either.
    Or try a pick.