1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

suggestions for deep cut on finger with gigs coming up tomorrow-wkend?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by redhouserocks, Dec 5, 2017.

1. LanEvo

LanEvo

Mar 10, 2008
    Manhattan
    Use 3M Coban self-adhering wrap. Nothing else works as well for fingers IME. Protects the wound, but still allows flexibility. Won’t slip off like other bandages tend to do

coban-wrap-300_r%5B800x600%5D.

2. squidtastic

squidtastic Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Had similar happen more than once. If cut is deep, super glue isn't a great solution. I've had success with using a butterfly bandage plus another cloth-like bandaid on top. Also used liquid bandage with a bandaid, but the butterfly bandaid with a good bandaid on top worked best and had no ill effects on my finger. That said, I used my other fingers while avoiding using the cut finger as much as possible.

3. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    If it's still bleeding (or throbbing) now, then for sure don't use the finger (and get rid of the duct tape) - amending my earlier suggestion. Get stitches if you need them, or at least idle the finger until healing is well underway.

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Wow.... that's a bass players nightmare, if ya ask me :).

5. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    I use them to cover Motörhead songs. I hate to use a pick. :smug:

Joe Nerve likes this.
  6. Pick or glove my only thoughts here

7. Pirate Captain

Pirate Captain Elitist Jazz Snob ******** Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Shelter Island, NY USA
    Lffqx89.

Attached Files:

redhouserocks and 2112 like this.
  8. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    If it was me I would superglue it and workon my pick playing , oh and I would probably turn down slightly or go with a less distinct sound so it was less obvious when I bodged my parts due to not being good with a pick lol

9. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Hello, this is what you should do:

Suture the finger. If it is a deep wound, you should suture it. The ideal stitch is the colchonero suture. I think in English it is the mattress suture. This suture is more resistant than a single stitch.

Ask for rehabsorbable suture. Something like Vycril suture. It is a polyglactin suture, my favorite. If the doctor is crafty, he will do an internal suture. The Vycril rapid lasts for 7 to 10 days, then it is rehabsorbable by your organism, no need to remove it.

If that is not possible, use a non-rehabsorbable suture. My favorite is the Supramid, that is a monofilament, excellent material. Avoid the multifilaments, especially Silk, because it soaks all the bacteria and dust and all the crap that makes contact with the suture.

Ask for a thin suture. Something like 4/0 or 5/0. At least the 3/0. The 2/0 is very thick. The bigger the number, the thinnest is the suture.

Put some superglue over it all. Several layers. The ideal is to use medical cyanoacrilate, but normal super glue is ok. Just remember, DO NOT let it slide on the inside of the wound. Make sure it is closed shut before you or anyone else applies it.

Put a nitrile glove (or latex) with NO powder.

Good luck, it's going to hurt.

10. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    redhouserocks likes this.
  11. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    11053395?wid=1560&hei=1560&fmt=pjpeg. If a pick is not a viable option, Crazy Glue the wound shut then cover the playing surface with a product called "new skin". Available at most drug stores. That should get you through.

12. Mr.Ace

Mr.Ace Bass players rule!

Sep 8, 2015
    Pompano Beach FL
    Endorsed by Fusion ( maker of killer gig bags)
    In the past I have just used my middle finger, or play with you’re thumb

13. Pharmdoc

Pharmdoc

Apr 2, 2005
    San Antonio
    Try finger cots. Available at pharmacies.

14. You might try Gorillia Tips. They are designed for beginners who have not built up callouses yet. They got me through a nasty cut on my left (neck) index finger once. I had a nasty encounter with an immersion blender. I still have a large numb area in the pad of my index finger.

15. tedious1

tedious1

Feb 14, 2014
    +1

But, hit the shed, it's liable to be a little 'disorienting' to not have that tactile feedback. You'll need to get yourself to a point where you trust your muscle memory, without the comfort of tactile reinforcement. I'd save the lidocaine topical as a last resort. Try a regular bandaid under the cot first for a little extra cushion if you have discomfort. The lido will work, but, it's going to exacerbate the lack of tactile feedback, even more than the band aid.

16. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    Try using your thumb, or use a thumb pick if it gets too calloused.

17. AcridSaint

AcridSaint ベーシスト Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2012
    Raleigh
    I don't play well.
    Super glue. It will work with very deep cuts. I saw my old man literally glue his thumb back together with the stuff as a teenager. I've used it on all sorts of cuts.

18. Agreed, that's why I suggested a test run with the topical. The finger cots come in various thicknesses. I suggest them because the OP mentioned using the fingers cut off a surgical glove and I suspect the finger cot, which is designed for activity is more likely to stay on than a finger cut from a glove.

19. Medicine Man

Medicine Man

Apr 10, 2015
    none
    Superglue will not hold for nearly long enough. There is lots of bad advice here. Get the stiches, please. You will do yourself a disservice by not getting proper medical attention. Put a splint on your cut finger so you can't use it and let it heal properly. Then put superglue on your ring finger and pinky so you lessen the blisters playing with fingers with no callus.

redhouserocks and J_Bass like this.
  20. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i've always used white surgical tape (the cloth kind, great adhesive): sometimes the wound has been conveniently located, sometimes not, but the tape at least has allowed me to get through a gig. i once opted for stitches (#6) in the pad of my (L) pinky --- and then taped over the stitches --- to get through a gig. those hand/finger injuries can be frustrating and painful, but if they're not playing-prohibitive: remedial treatments can work out. best of luck (and healing)! :thumbsup: