1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

suggestions for deep cut on finger with gigs coming up tomorrow-wkend?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by redhouserocks, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Use mainly your middle finger. Or use a thick pick.

2. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
    Clean it with alcohol. Let dry. Do what Joe Nerve did with triple application of super glue. Cover that with clear Nexcare medical tape. Use the finger as little as possible, and sub using thumb, middle and ring finger, and maybe even a pick occasionally.

Korladis likes this.
  3. Sorry you hurt yourself. I'm going to guess any cover up, glue tape or anything else which you try to protect your finger with, will get in the way and fail during the gig, leaving you to remove it and be forced to apply that fresh wound to the string. I am a finger player myself, but just this once, I suggest get through the gig using a pick and allow your finger tip to heal.

4. Spectre Gunner

Spectre Gunner Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Tampa, Florida
    At the risk of having tomatoes thrown at me...Any good at playing bass on keyboards?

5. madbass6

madbass6 Banned

Jan 13, 2009
    I do not give consent to use any of my photos ! please respect that. thank you.
    suggestions ? yeah, about taking a break, find a replacement and let heal rite!

6. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    @redhouserocks +1 to the Steri-Strips method mentioned earlier in this thread:

Loved-one had open heart surgery a little over a week ago. They wire the breastbone back together and use surgical crazy glue instead of sutures on the incision b/c it spreads the skin tension over a larger area AND is very much less likely to get infection(not penetrating suture). They then applied cut down versions of 1x5 Steri-Strips to add a bit of reinforcement across the glued incision. The Steri-Strip they used is the stronger one found here: 3M™ Steri-Strip™ Reinforced Adhesive Skin Closures R1548 | 3M United States

Sent her home with a few so I ordered a box of those 1x5's(have to clean the incision and re-apply Steri-Strips if there is any "leakage" from the incision until the skin grows together) plus a box of slightly smaller ones. I will take a couple of each to put in my band toolbox(in a sealed container of course).

redhouserocks likes this.
  7. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Jun 6, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    I don't wait 30 minutes after eating, to go swimming.
    Whatever you do, use proper judgement and don't risk permanent damage. Not worth it.

8. franklindayala

franklindayala

Feb 8, 2015
    PERÚ
    Use your thumb or a pick.

9. barryindy

barryindy

Jul 12, 2006
    Just keep your right hand off the instrument and hammer the hell out of the fretboard with your good hand.

10. 70s Custom Mod

70s Custom Mod

Sep 3, 2016
  11. Admiral Akbar

Admiral Akbar

Mar 12, 2013
    New York
    Nice. I use steri-strips pretty often at my day gig. They work great.

Johnny Crab likes this.
  12. jaymelewis

jaymelewis

Jan 6, 2010
    Fillmore, CA
    110% this. Don't risk further injury - it's not worth it!

inanimate_carb likes this.
  13. non

non

Aug 4, 2015
    this happened to me in 2012 freak skateboarding accident. i couldn't play for a year from the nerve damage. 37 stitches! hand.

14. xnewyorka

xnewyorka Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    Complicated question, complicated answer:

If the song is slow enough, use middle finger. Try it - you'll see that it's easy.

If the song is a little bit faster, or has some 8th notes or even a few 16th notes sprinkled in, try alternating thumb and middle finger. It's a little awkward at first, but it works. Channel your inner Mark Knopfler.

If the song has lots of grace notes, you can use your ring finger for the grace note and your middle finger for the note on the beat. That one is easy. But not many songs need that.

If the song has 16th notes, see if you can get away with rewriting the bass part to use quarter notes and 8th notes without ruining the song. If you can do that, then use the above techniques.

If the song has 16th notes and they are critical to the song, start practicing it with a pick right now and see if you can do it. It's not that tough, really! If you try and hold the pick w/ the first digit of your right index finger (standard picking technique), it might hurt and you might drop the pick. Instead, place the wide part of the pick entirely along your SECOND digit (between first knuckle and second or middle knuckle), so that the pick doesn't even need to touch the first digit. This works fine, but it puts the pick at a funny angle so you don't want a sharp edged pick, and also you may have to change the angle between your bass and your body slightly to get a good pick attack angle.

Lastly, wear a good quality Band Aid ToughStrips bandage of the smallest size that covers the wound. Tight enough to be snug, but not tight enough to impede circulation. Then wrap a few wraps of surgical tape around that. Duct tape might also work well, try it and see. Be sure to bring a half dozen ToughStrips with you to the show and keep them handy on top of your amp.

Take maximum allowed Ibuprofen dosage preemptively to reduce pain and swelling, following directions on bottle.

Take 2 Aspirin and call me in the morning.

Skip that last one.

15. HertzWhenIPlay

HertzWhenIPlay

Jan 15, 2011
    I like things that go BOOM
    This

16. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    Superglue would probably work with a bandage over it or try that liquid skin stuff...

17. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Single pluck with the middle finger. Or thumb.

main-qimg-d73bbc2d57a84527715c4a30afe86aa0-c.

maxresdefault.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  18. redhouserocks

redhouserocks

Apr 16, 2013
    Ok, sorry I didn't respond last night, because I left my phone in the band trailer, but we played tonight and I just got home ... I have tons of photos and videos of tonight and I'm actually pleased at the outcome of what I did ... I'll post them all when I wake up in the am. ... it's 2:32 am here so I'm hitting the bed, but I'll post my results today when I wake up.

Stumbo likes this.
  19. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    Sorry I am late to the party. Two years ago I had a shipping pallet crumble in my hand and the staples they use to build those things shredded the tips of my fingers. I got through two gigs just fine wearing these. They stay on tight and don't slip. And I still have this box. Wish I would have seen this thread earlier. I would have mailed this to you.
    IMG_2813.JPG

bdplaid and bholder like this.