Suggestions for Drum machine for practicing

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by keyboardguy, Oct 19, 2005.

1. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    Hi all,

I want to get a drum machine to practice to and don't want to spend a lot of $$$.

I'd like it to have many different styles of music: rock, jazz, bossa novas, merangue, funk, country, etc. Like the types of rhythms in the Yamha PSR series keyboards.

I don't want to really program beats, just hit a button and play to them.

Any suggestions? I saw the Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-3 for under $200. I want to buy something maybe used on Ebay.

Any older models you would recommend?

2. Don't get an Alesis SR-16. I've had one for years & can't do squat w/it. I wouldn't mind programming, in fact I would prefer it to 'push play & go' but I can't comprehend...
    Mind you, I am pretty technically stupid- I'm sure it's not that bad. Or maybe it is...
    Another thing I don't like about the Alesis is the ever-present & non-adjustable reverb. What if I dont want reverb on this demo, or some delay instead?
    Zoom makes a decent-looking unit for well under $200, & I've had no problems understanding the couple of their pieces I've diddled with.
  3. keyboardguy

May 11, 2005
    Thanks bassteban.

Have your heard the Zoom RT-223? It has 400 drum patterns and is $179.
  4. RhythmBassist01

Aug 31, 2005
    I use drum loops from beta monkey music. They have thousands to choose from.
  5. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    The Alesis SR16 is what I'd recommend, and I've got one myself. There's a lot you can do with it if you're up to reading the instructions and the drums sounds are pretty decent. It is a little tedious to work with, but as far as my research went, it's the best choice at $100. Also, you certainly don't have to use the drum sounds with reverb as one poster claims

Feb 21, 2005
    If your soundcard has ASIO and you have a program that can use VST, I recommend getting Jamstix (VST software).
  7. keyboardguy

May 11, 2005
    Thanks everyone for your input.

I got the Boss Dr-3 on Ebay; should have it in about a week. I will report on its' sounds then.