1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suggestions for EQ pedal + Loooper substitute

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Trev, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Trev

Trev

Feb 23, 2004
    Hi there. I'm looking for a really good EQ pedal and it would be great if someone could suggest something. I don't really know what brands are out there, with the exception of the Boss pedals. Are those any good? Are they noisy, do they color the tone too much?

I recall reading somewhere that all the Boss pedals are non-true bypass but if I have no choice but to get it (or any other non-true-bypass EQ pedal which I think suits my purpose best) then I'll probably look into getting one of those Loooper things but I've heard that they're not making them anymore. Could I get something similar from another company?

Anyway since I have practically no knowledge of EQ pedals for the most part, it would be great if you could recommend one to me. If it helps, this is my current signal path: Zon Sonus Custom 4 > Sansamp BDDI Programmable (not always on) > Avalon U5 > Digidesign 002 audio interface > computer + monitors. I'm also looking into adding a distortion pedal and a compressor, but the EQ will be for my non distorted tone, ie. probably will be on all the time since I lack an amp with EQ controls.

I also play music in the vein of hard rock or metal I guess, with elements of funk and jazz thrown in sometimes. I also play almost exclusively with a pick. Thanks!

2. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    if you're not playing out live, and it doesn't necessarily have to be a stompbox, then get a nice parametric eq. maybe a dbx 231 or something.

as far as loopers are concerned, check this thread out:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=288969&highlight=loooper

since then, i've found another company that makes a truebypass looper:

http://www.smolskitech.com/index.html

if you need it to be in pedal format, the boss would work fine... also, danelectro, dod, mxr, maxon, and others make eq pedals that are pretty good. but, you also have a programmable bass driver... that thing has got a wide range of possibilities, besides just great-sounding overdrive.

as far as distortion.... i'd do a search around here; there are a TON of threads dedicated to distortion. there's one called "the distortion mega-thread," actually.