Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggestions for evening out volume between 2 styles of technique???

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Deano Destructo, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Can anyone help me, I seem to be having trouble getting the volume even when I go from a finger stle to a slap style. Is there an effect or setting that will even this out volume or cutting through the mix wise? The slap style just does'nt seem to be cutting through at all in a full band setting. I play a Warwick Thuumb 5 N/t. Is this a problem associated with the bass mabye???:confused: :(

2. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    It's all in the hands. Work on your playing dynamics. Also, check your EQ settings. The smily face will sound great when your practicing, but won't cut through the band mix at all. Put some mids in. Try some different strings, even. Thumb bass, huh? . Mmmm... grrrrr.:D

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Yes, they are on your bass. I think they call them volume and tone knobs :D

If you really need to switch back and forth with no time to tweak knobs, you might try a compressor.

4. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    No, most of the time I don't have time to fiddle w/ the knobs (i.e. in the middle of a song) and I'm using a compressor but it's still not cutting through right should I be adding more of something on the compressor , like the attack or something???:D :confused:

5. Boys, this is a "Technique" subject if there ever was one.

6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Not to sound trite or anything, but it is all in the hands. I remember watching John B. Williams on the Arsenio Hall show and thinking to myself as he was slapping "Man! He's not moving at all!" That led me to start to slap lighter and lighter. I never use a compressor now, and I can play either technique as loudly or quietly as possible. So the answer, as always, is practice. You'll thank yourself in the long run.

7. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Yes, I think it's all in the hands and fingertouch.

Try running a little more volume so you'll have more headroom. You won't have to play the strings as hard. You then adjust your respective slap / fingerstyle playing so that everything comes out at about the same volume. It's easier said than done.

8. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    i agree that it is a technique issue, but if you're using a compressor without really knowing how/what it can do to your dynamics, then you might be making things worse...
    i don't want to assume anything about your expertise with compression attack/release/ratio settings...
    so i'll just say be extra careful when using your compressor, especially across the 2 different playing styles.

9. snoogin

snoogin

Jun 15, 2002
    Sioux city Iowa
    It's about $200 and made by Fodera. A little black pre-amp pedal that has bass and treble boost, gain, and an independent mid cut/boost you can go from bypass to said feature on the fly. So you can have a slap sound and a fingerstlye sound at your feet. And if you're into the bass solo thing you can boost volume and mids to confuse the audience,(what's that really low sound, dear?) Sounds like a shortcut, but this thing sounds so good when you add some bass and cut the mids slightly. Kind of like that fat,wet Stanley Clarke sound. But if your hands can't command the difference in touch between techniques, you should probably stand on your own two hands first. It helps me sleep at night IMO. Someone told me that Victor Wooten likes them? But do what you like.

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I'm sure it's true that technique can solve your problem, but I've only had success balancing finger and slap styles when I set action lower than I prefer. I prefer medium action, and without gentle compression (~1.5:1 ratio or less) my slapping overwhelms my fingerstyle.

I know I should lower my action and lighten my touch, but after a couple of decades of digging in the habit is difficult to break... and it's just so fun and groovy.

11. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I agree with the rest of the guys who say it's in the hands, but if you need a real quick fix you could get a volume pedal.