Suggestions for Fat, Meaty Low-End for <$400?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by moptoptony, Nov 30, 2004.

1. I've come upon a dilemna.

I really do love my MIJ Fender '75 Reissue Jazz. But I have some little quips about it. The sound of the D and G strings are my biggest problem. I feel like when I use those strings, I'm not really playing a bass anymore. The sound is just too thin.

That's why I'm asking for another bass for Christmas. But my budget is $400, and I'm a very picky boy. I'd want the neck to be no wider than 1.63", and it has to be a four-string. Also, I'm a very vintage-minded guy as far as styling goes, so I don't want some crazy-looking Ibanez.

I've been browsing eBay for a couple weeks now, and these are my initial top picks:
    Epiphone Jack Casady (if I can find one <$400)
    MIM Fender P-Bass
    Epiphone EB-0
    Epiphone Les Paul Standard

Do you think that any of these would suit my wants, or do you have some better suggestions?
  2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    The EB-0 has anything but meat. Go for the P bass, man.
  3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    You can find a used MIM deluxe jazz for under $400. Those have more growl than a den of lions.
  4. And here's where I start getting REAL choosy...

I doubt that my dad would get another Jazz Bass for me. He's an acoustic-guitar player who doesn't even know how to adjust volume on an amp, let alone how to plug up a guitar...what does this mean? He doesn't know the differences between different types of the same model. Also, I personally would rather have something else rather than another Jazz. Why? Because I'm a bitch.
  5. bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    The Jack C. is going to be rather trebley, given the hollow body. The EB-) has a baseball bat neck. Don't know about the Les Paul.
    Before you listed the brands I said to myself: P bass. The 54 RIs are thumpy and deep.
  6. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    P bass :hyper: P bass :hyper: P bass :hyper:
  7. P bass! It's a big pile of meat or a big growly machine depending on the tone nob.
  8. Have you thought about new pups?

Also maybe diff. strings ?

9. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I would also think about strings. What strings and guage are you playing? Heavier, or sometimes just better, strings might help.
  10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

11. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    If you spend $400, you're likely going to end up with another bass you are unhappy with. If you can bump your budget to $500 or $600 you should be able to find a used American Standard P-bass, or a Hamer USA Cruisebass which I think you'd like a whole lot better.

Cheap basses sound cheap (thin), in general. Consider selling your Jazz and add the proceeds to your $400.

If you must spend under $400, I've had good luck with low end basses from Peavey and Yamaha, more than Fender MIM.
  12. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    1. Ditch the jazz bass. Sell it.
    2. Get a used Precision. If its MIM, fine, just check it out first. Make sure it feels fine to you. If it comes with just OK pups, fine, you can always put an SD Antiquity in there at a later date. A Precision may not be the ideal solo bass (others may think it is tho), and it may not sound optimum in your bedroom, but in a band situation is where the Precision shines. I use Pbasses almost exclusively. Best bass meat around in my opinion. Then get some nickel roundwounds, settle them in nicely, and your are all set my friend.
  13. I don't know why the G and D strings would sound thin. I would have it properly set up, maybe raised a little. Does that MIJ '75 jazz have the Badass bridge? You obviously want something else, but I am not convinced the G and D strings are the culprit.

I would suggest the Mike Dirnt P bass bass but I do not know what the retail and street price is. That sunburst Dirnt excells in the conjones department.

I am thinking your present bass could go pretty quickly, as the MIJ have a good rep for quality.
  14. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
  15. A nice Godin BG4. Probably the biggest bargain of the century.

- Andrew