1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Suggestions for Fender Jaco Jazz pickup upgrade?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ROOTSnFIFTHS, Apr 1, 2013.

1. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Low-end Lover since '78!

Oct 25, 2012
    NJ to Sin City
    Anyone here upgrade pickups in a Fender Jaco Pastorius Artist series Jazz bass?

I am finding the original pups too "scooped" sounding for my tastes. Looking for a more modern/more midrange type pickup.

I have been living with the originals since I got the bass but have always thought they could be improved. Especially for live work. Appreciate any suggestions.

2. Are you after the Jaco tone?

What PUs are on the bass?

I have an MIJ Jaco bass. I had an Audere pre and Nordstrand PUs, which gave it a lot of sparkle and presence. Now I've replaced the pre but digging the tone.

Davo

3. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Dec 3, 2012
    They're going to be a little "scooped" when they're both on full. Try turning one or the other down a bit. :)

4. ROOTSnFIFTHS

Oct 25, 2012
    NJ to Sin City
    Bass has the original pickups from Fender. Not exactly after the Jaco tone as I find his tone a little ordinary (except for certain studio songs I think sound good).
    Presence is a good adjective for what I would like more of. In researching the Nordstrands were in my top 3 picks. Have not really ever heard them just a description. Davo do you have the SE's?

Stone, I have been dropping down the neck a bit to reduce the scooped tone but need something better. Also considering the Dimarzio Model J but just not sure what the sound would be like, exactly. It's funny out of 7 Jazz basses the Jaco has such an exagerated 'scooped' tone.

5. NJSEs were the ones I picked. Very good experience with Nordstrand - great people. Also the Audere pre gave a lot of options. The NJs produce a lot of sparkle, which I like, when coupled with round wound strings.

Davo

6. ROOTSnFIFTHS

Oct 25, 2012
    NJ to Sin City
    Yes Nordstands sure sound like what I'm looking for. A little pricey though.