Suggestions for Fretless Bass in the $800 to 1,200 price range

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gfab333, Feb 1, 2004.

1. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    A buddy of mine is considering buying a fretless four string and doesn't know where to start. I only play fretted basses, so I'm not hip to what's a good fretless bass. The poor guy does not have access to computer, so he can't log on to Talkbass himself. I thought that I'd help him out with this post.

Please post your suggestions for a decent fretless in the $800 to $1,200 price range. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Peavey Cirrus, used Pedulla Buzz, used Zon would be some great choices.
  3. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Great ideas, how 'bout new or used Laklands/Skylines. Maybe Roscoe?

Or, he could get a MTD kingston/heir fretless and save himself a bunch of money....
  4. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Rick Turner or a used Zon.
    I miss my Rick Turner,
    They are so warm and horn like. They are one THE best fretlesses IMO.
  5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Good suggestions from everyone!

For new, I would definitely suggest the 44-02 fretless, used the doors are all open, my personal favorite would be the Zon, which should be somewhere close to his price range for a used 4.
  6. I played a Fender MIA fretless today and was blown away. Maybe I just got a good one? It played itself, and the sound was very nice! Nailed "Hey You" exactly like the recording. I want it!
  7. Considering it was one of the few basses in the store that was in tune, I'd assume it was set up properly. :D
  8. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Fender Artist Series Jaco fretless comes to my mind.
  9. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    What style of music does he play? There are tons of choices in that price range. Some are better suited than others to different styles of music.

Currently, my only fretless is a Turner Electroline and it is just amazing. The new price is out of his range, but if you can find one used, it will be in his price range. I really can't say enough good things about Rick Turner basses. They are amazing instruments.
  10. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    thanks for the responses.

Xyllion, he plays blues, rock, and contemporary material, but wants to branch into jazz. I sense that he'd like a fretless Jazz Bass sound. He's looking at Carvin, and I'd like him to look into other alternatives before making a final selection.
  11. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    If he can find a used Turner Electroline fretless, he won't be disappointed. Otherwise, I'd look at good quality jazz-style basses. Lakland Skyline basses will fall into his price range and are easy to resell if he changes his mind later. I'm not a big fan of Fender fretless basses, but they will also fall into his price range. Alembics tend to have a really nice fretless tone as well, but they will be harder to locate in that price range.