Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggestions for good cover songs

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by pulseczar, Feb 10, 2006.

1. pulseczar

pulseczar

May 7, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    I'm sure this topic's been reviewed alot of times, but I can't seem to find a good article that suit my needs.

So, my friend's hosting a charity event and needs a band to play music. We're in our late teens by the way. I'm thinking she wants a good band that can get the crowd up and dancin'. As much as I love the old classics like Cream, Sly & the Family Stone, and others, I don't think the crowd would react to it positively, so I need suggestions of songs that would work the crowd good, preferably late 80's or 90's because I think that's what the crowd would like.

2. jwl

jwl

Jan 25, 2005
    you just can't go wrong with any thing motown. also r.e.m. they are way cool. for dance, and bear with me on this until you check it out, swing out sister. swing out sister is sort of a modern sounding motown sounding band. they have no real bassist, but keys player, andy connel plays keyboard bass that puts many bass guitar players to shame. they have a female vocalist, but a guy could do it too. there is nothing wrong with the bands you mentioned. if it's well played, the croud will dig it. play what you love. if it comes from the heart, it will come through in the music. fact. peace, jeff

3. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    First, find out what your target audiences are into.

A good gauge of that would be to check out other bands that play where you'll play and get the crowd's reaction to what they play.

Also, hang out in the clubs you want to play at, if you can, and just listen to what people play on the jukebox.

After that, there are thousands of songs to choose from...way too many to list here. Think of how many hits there have been between, say...1965 to the present. Pick from that. :D

4. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Here's some we do from that era:

Sex & Candy (Marcy's Playground)
    Creep (Radiohead)
    Sour Girl (STP)
    You're Gonna Miss Me (The 13th Floor Elevators -- yeah, I know, its old, but its not "the usual" and its great to dance to.)
    I'm A Man (Spencer Davis Group...another oldie, but people love it)
    Stacey's Mom (can't remember artist)

That last one is fun for dancing and singing along.

More suggestions (I'm working on some of these to bring in):

Stay Or Go (The Clash)
    Surrender (Cheap Trick)
    I Want You To Want Me (Cheap Trick)
    Sedated (The Ramones)
    Turning Japanese (The Vapors -- FUN bass line!)
    What I Like About You (can't remember name of artist, but always a crowd-pleaser)
    Look At That (The Fab T-Birds)
    Wrap It Up (The Fab T-Birds)
    Love Removal Machine (The Cult, and insanely easy to play. Most of their stuff is.)
    All Night Long (or whatever the name is...AC/DC)
    One Way Or Another (Blondie - no reason a guy can't sing this)
    Rocking In The Free World (Neil Young)
    Soul City (Southern Culture On The Skids -- great party song)
    I'm A Hog For You (Guy Forsythe, et al -- great party blues)
    Bop-A-Boom (SRV & Double Trouble)
    Lunatic Fringe (Red Rider)
    Superman (REM)

I know, a lot of these are not really from the era you're looking for. But its not really my era, so I'm not real well-versed. I was listening to a lot of early 80's and mid-to-late 70's rock, and a lot of old-school punk at the time. But these are not your usual "classic" either, really. Have fun!

Cherie :)

5. jwl

jwl

Jan 25, 2005
    what i like about you. the romantics. detroit. peace, jeff

6. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    The easiest way to get your run of the mill young crowd who know little to nothing about music up dancing is to get chart hits that are currently in the charts and some of the bigger ones in the last couple of years. You just can't fail. The more kind of poppy crap you play the quicker and longer they'l be up dancing

Somesongs my band does

Last Night - The strokes
    Seven Nation Army - White Stripes
    Dakota - Stereophonics
    Somebody Told me - The Killers
    Mr Brightside - The Killers
    Sweet Child of mine - G'n'R
    All the small things - Blink 182
    American Idiot - Greenday
    Basket Case - Greenday
    Vertigo - U2
    In The End - linkin Park

7. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Billy Idol - Dancing With Myself
    Ace Frehley - New York Groove
    INXS - Pretty Vegas
    Norman Greenbaum - Spirit In The Sky
    Sublime - Santeria (consider lyrics before singing to a inappropriate crowd)
    U2 - With or Without You

8. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    My band started playing "Peaches" by POTUSA at shows. Both times we've played it (one for college kids, one for high school), it's gone over very well. And it's simple to learn. Though a guitarist we tried out a couple weeks ago just stared blankly when we mentioned the song.

OTHERS:

Blink-182 tends to go over well with kids. Same with Green Day.
    Tom Petty - Mary Jane's Last Dance, American Girl
    Gin Blossoms - Hey Jealousy
    Killers - Mr. Brightside.
    Cars - Just What I Needed, Best Friend's Girl
    I might think of more later. I'm goin' on four hours of sleep here so I'm pullin' up blanks.