1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Suggestions for good string for both arco and pizz?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Mark Wade, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Mark Wade

Mark Wade

May 19, 2012
    New York City
    Any suggestions there for a good all-around string for a bass that would be set up for both professional jazz and classical gigs? Thanks.!

2. orangereeco

orangereeco

Mar 4, 2012
    Midland, MI
    I've been using the Pirastro Obligatos for a little over half a year now, and while I'm no professional, I've enjoyed them a lot for both classical and jazz. They have great sustain for pizzicato, and they can project well with arco in both orchestral and solo classical music.

3. Matt Ides

Matt Ides Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Spirocores would be the go to string for both applications. Myself and many others have had great experience with EPs. While they never worked for me some bassists get a great sound from the helicore hybrids.

4. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Mark, there are so many threads already on this topic with tons of info. Do a search.

5. MaxJohnson

MaxJohnson

Jan 29, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Spiros on a darker instrument, Evahs on a brighter one.

6. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    My new fav: Pirastro Jazzer. Yeah I'm back on the stick o' pain with it.

7. Ryanpet42

Ryanpet42 Guest

Aug 1, 2012
    How is the bowed sound of the Jazzers? In response to the question at hand, I have used Spiro mitts, Evah weichs, and Obligatos to use in both situations. If you were doing 50/50 I would suggest Spiro mitts or Evah weichs. I am using the Evahs at the moment and I like them, but Spiro E & A with Evah D & G works nicely. Don't use the Spiro weichs as they are reeeeeeeeeally bright.

8. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    TBH, I like the bowed sound of Jazzers more than Spiros. I would say they're easier to bow. It certainly has rekindled my interest in arco.

9. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    My arco is not good enough to be a great voice on this, but I would say that they bow just fine. On my bass, Spirocore Weich might have been a little better with the bow, but I suspect the Jazzers might bow a little better than Mittels. In fairness, my bass doesn't really respond well in Mittels in general.

If I was really working 50/50 arco and pizz and will willing to trade pizz for arco, then maybe I would look somewhere else, but that's not my situation.

10. Ryanpet42

Ryanpet42 Guest

Aug 1, 2012
    With a name like The Jazzer, I would expect them to bow as bad as nylon strings.

11. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Not the case.