1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suggestions for having enjoyable discussions

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Oct 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

1. Have a great time discussing ideas and listening to the ideas of others

2. Read what others have written. (Okay so if it is a really long thread maybe you can skip to the end).

3. Try and see Talkbass as a huge dinner party where everyone has a seat at the table.

4. Be happy you get to hear opinions that are different than yours. Ask questions to clarify what is being said.

5. Express your ideas in a clear concise way. Remember that whatever you write is out and your ideas can be seen and considered by many for good or bad.

6. Try and avoid the desire to be “right” I know that can be a tough one sometimes. Or, at least it is for me.

7. Think about what others are saying and ask yourself if it reveals any false ideas or stereotypes in your thinking. Leaning about others is a great way to learn about ourselves. It is great that we get to be part of such a large community.

8. Avoid comments about another posters intelligence, abilities or anything personal. Respect each other. (see suggestion 6)

9. If you think someone is getting personal with you, politely ask for clarification. It is so easy to misread what others are posting.

10. If things get ugly back off or change the subject to burritos or tuna noodle casserole or derail the thread with bad puns.

11. Don’t feed the trolls. They come here and I know how hard it can be to not “straighten them out” say what you want then walk away. Endless debates with trolls only creates frustration.

12. Ask yourself if you are engaging in trollish behavior. It can happen to any of us. If you realize you are doing that apologize without making excuses or blaming anyone else.

13. Remember that you are not in control here, let the mods do that.

14. See suggestion number one.

Yeesh, after reading this I don't know if I can behave this way. :bag: Ah well, at least it is a goal

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  2. BadJazz

BadJazz Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Eugene, Oregon
    tuna-noodle-casserole-all-ingredients.jpg

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
  4. My suggestion is to just leave the conversation if you're not enjoying it.

maxmaroon, Fretless1!, JRA and 2 others like this.
  5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I propose that if the OP gets over 500 likes we change the name of this forum from TalkBass to TalkUtopia.

bholder, Munjibunga, Gaolee and 5 others like this.
  6. slobake

Good suggestion.

eJake and Killed_by_Death like this.
  7. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    This reads like a really good sticky!:thumbsup:

Oddly likes this.
  8. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Know yourself.

If a topic is a sore subject for you, then walk away. Why invest in something you will not enjoy and are likely to take personally?

Be civil.

Re-read before you click "Post Reply". Give it a second. Let the words sink in. Check for punctuation. Ask yourself if it helps the topic? Could it reflect on you poorly? Did you flame someone either intentionally when heated or inadvertently and didn't catch it until now? Delete that sucker or change it. Now it's good? Take a breath and post with confidence.

9. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    On the internet? Unplug your router.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Only post comments that are true, kind, and necessary.
    If you can do that, we could talk about anything here and it would be pleasant.

-Mike

Groove Doctor, 4Mal, kesslari and 3 others like this.
  11. slobake's tryin' to stir up trouble again.;)

Oddly, bholder, JRA and 2 others like this.
  12. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Difference of opinion is an opportunity to learn and expand one's intellectual horizons.

I've never understood why some people need to get nasty or violent when their opinion is met with opposition (well--I do understand, but I'll be classy and refrain from making derogatory comments about pea-brained individuals). If we all agreed on everything, existence would be boring--boring to the point of insanity. If there were no differences of opinion, our progress as a species would grind to a halt.

I'm reminded of this quote: 'It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.'

For example, I think your opinion on TNC is baseless and wrong---but that doesn't make you less of a person........;) :roflmao:

13. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Fixed.

slobake likes this.
  14. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

If the worst part of your day is something that somebody said to you on the internet, that's a good day.

15. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    I'd just expand a little on notes 6 & 8:
    There are people on here of all walks of life, ability, income, and experience.
    Respect their inquiries:
    Q: I'd like to spend $300 on a bass. Any suggestions?
    TrollA: You should spend $1000 on a bass.

Who benefits from that kind of answer?

Oddly, bholder, FilterFunk and 3 others like this.
  16. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Yes it does

ONYX and slobake like this.
  17. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    What in the world is the OP talking about?

:cool:

slobake likes this.
  18. slobake

Am I delusional? ;)

19. slobake

Why I oughta ...

ONYX likes this.
  20. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    No, I think you're totally lusional!

My comment was more of a drive-by TL;DR snipe...or poor attempt at situational humour on my part :)

bholder and slobake like this.