Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggestions for Hybrid

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by bdengler, Jun 25, 2000.

1. bdengler

bdengler

Jan 23, 2000
    New Albany, Ohio
    I play in church. I use pizz in most of the pieces, but I still use arco in about 30% of the pieces. Currently, I have Helicore Orchestral mediums on the bass. I amplify the bass using a Schertler transducer. I'm wondering, with this combination of playing, if anyone would recommend another type of string. One of my teachers suggested I do NOT use the Helicore Hybrid, because, he believed, they were good for pizz but not especially good for arco. Any thoughts? Thanks, Brian

2. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    It is not clear from your post what you don't like in your current strings. Although I have no experience with Helicore Orch., I have tried previously the Hybrid variety and I agree that their bow-ability is questionable. Switching to Obligato was a relief (check Don's topic, or dig in the archives for the "best compromise" posts.

3. With the schertler, I would reccomend the Corelli 370tx.IMHO, They seem to respond well to arco, and while they do not have the same sustain as the helicore, they do have a nice sweet sound.