Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggestions for Improving the DB Forums

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, May 23, 2003.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    The recent departures of Ed and Ray have got me thinking about how important this board is to the daily (or semi-daily) lives of many TB members. While I realize that nothing that happens here is LIFE OF DEATH important, I do miss having these guys around as part of the music related periphery of my day-to-day experience. We've gotten a lot of great new members over the past year, and I'd like to see this section of the site continue to grow into a larger and more active community if possible. I know I can't get the information and interchange that I find here anywhere in my hometown, and I suspect that many of the regulars I see coming around frequent this site for the same reason.

To this end, I'd like to hear some suggestions about how to improve the site to make it more attractive to both regular members and newcomers alike. I'll be updating some of the "Newbie Links" threads in the next month or so (and if anyone can think of a better title for those threads, please post your suggestions here), and I have a bit more free time in the summer to implement any changes you might suggest, so if you have any ideas, please share them and we'll see what we can get done. In the meantime, please spread the word about the site to any DBers you might happen across...I'm always amazed how powerful a tool word of mouth can still be even in these bizarre cyber-times.

Peace,

DURRL

P.S. - please refrain from turning this into a "U guys R so M34n, ur n0t a5 l33t a5 u Th1nk u R. w00t!" thread. I'm looking for serious suggestions here. If you think this issue is worth addressing, please address it respectfully and in complete English sentences. Thanks. :)

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Chris, off the top of my head I think a subforum for "doublers" might be something to think about. I know I am at about a 50/50 split right now between
    electric and DB.

I think this could provide a mutual exchange of information between slabbers and Db'ers.

just a quick thought.

3. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Ray is gone too?!?!

I'm surprised - I've always thought of the DB forum as very to the point and informative.

Honestly can't think of any improvements now, but then again I do spend a lot of time in Slabland...

4. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I had noticed that Ed wasn't posting since a little while, but didn't know he left!
    Do you mean he deleted his user account and all???

To be frank, I can't stand the posts on the other side of the board (BG)...
    I'd rather see fewer, but more interesting threads than the reverse...

One thing is sure: to be able to post messages by email would help to bring more life, IMHO.

Cheers,
    François

5. Buddy Lee

Buddy Lee

May 5, 2002
    A "New in past 24hrs" button for DB only would be very helpful, IMO.

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Francois: what do you mean by this?

Good suggestions everyone - keep 'em coming.

7. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I mean that to posts and read messages, we have no choice than going to the bulletin board and browse on-line.
    In the past, with a previous BB software that Paul was using, it was possible to receive emails at home.
    I don't remember if we were able to post via email too though. (I think it was the case)

8. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I think he means like Yahoo Group style. You can choose to go to the thread on the site, or use it by email. The post gets emailed to all members, and if you reply, it gets posted on the site like a message board. I don't think that would work with a forum so big such as this one. The sheer magnitude of the site would make that prohibitave, since not everyone wants to get every post in their inbox. From the time I leave in the morning to the time I get home, there can be as many as 300 posts! That's a lot in an inbox!

9. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I'm doing what is possible to spark discussions on arco technique and repertoire, but I think Talkbass is very lucky to get input from the luthiers that surf this site.

It's a lot easier for me to discuss basses, string types, bow weight, etc. I can say words like intonation, time, dynamics, etc...but those are things I really understand from experience, not a forum thread.

I think we'll always struggle with gaps when it comes to connecting the paper world, where knowledge can be preserved, and the real world, where its implementation occurs. Maybe that's where Ed and Ray are right now, and maybe they'll come back with solutions and share what they have to offer again sometime...

10. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Sorta, but not exactly either.
    About Yahoo: did you know you can choose to receive digests (all the day's emails into one post) instead of individual messages?

I agree that with the highly structured, folder-style arrangement that we have right now, it'd be very difficult to reproduce that with pure email.
    Paul'd probably need to simplify the structure to BG and DB only. Each group would get a specific email address, like BG@talkbass.com and DB@talkbass.com.

Does someone remember the older system that was used on Talkbass before?

Paul should drop in here to enlighten us.

11. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I wasn't around back then, so I don't know what it was like...

12. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Are we talking about the old style listservs here? Like 2xbasslist?

13. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    No.
    There was a graphic bulletin board software, available on the web, and it was possible to (at least) receive messages via email, and possibly to post too. (to be confirmed)
    As I said earlier, Paul Determan would be the best person to shade a light on all this.

François

14. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    I think that talkbass.com is great, I became exposed to so much information. I think that there is always more to share but the truth is that if I were to become a member now and had just started on DB just on the archives alone I'd find enough information that I would probably not feel the need to post. Newer members are always asking the same questions about strings, size, this and that..., just like we all did at one point. so I think that it's just normal that older members don't feel like answering the same questions over and over, even more when the site has great archives and is so easy to use and get information. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with talkbass and really it is hard to think about improvements. I think that older members leaving the site and new ones arriving is just a natural process. I don't post that much and honestly there is not that many pots that interest me but i will keep supporting talkbass.com because talbass.com offers a great service to musicians all over the world and this is a great use for the Internet and we hope that thanks to sites like this one that we can expect musicians to be more aware of differents aspects of playing, techinque, concept and music in general without even mentioning the DoubleBass itself.

15. jimclark68

jimclark68

Dec 16, 2000
    Morganton, NC
    I have supported TB for the past two years, and registered when I began looking for my first bass in 2001. It has been an invaluable resource for me, and I read the forums every day. I can't begin to measure the things I have learned from this website. I do far more reading than posting, because I am inexperienced and am not qualified to respond to many things that are discussed. Even still, after just a couple of years, I begin to feel what I'm sure the pros/semi-pros feel when inexperienced people post the same questions over and over, even with the 'Newbie Links' prominently displayed at the top of each thread list.

Still, I'm not sure what to suggest to make improvements, because I get out of TB what I look for. But there is is one thought I have, although I have no idea whether it is do-able or not. Perhaps when someone registers, if there is a way to identify which forums they intend to use, an e-mail can be sent with suggestions for use of the DB board with the newbie links already attached, as well as instructions for searching. I realize that this seems like spoon-feeding, but this may weed out some of the redundant posts.

I would like to re-state that this site is very important to me and and will remain so despite of a couple of our giants (thank you Ray and Ed for your time these past years) moving on. Thanks to those of you who continue to share your experiences (and teach those of us whom you will probably never even meet): Chris, Don, Bob G., Jeff, Bob B., Arnold, Francois, Olivier, David, Monte, Nick, and the many others who take the time to pass on their knowledge.

16. Seppie

Seppie

Aug 14, 2002
    Austria, Vienna
    yeah thats right but hey...opinions change so it´s sometimes fun to see how the people change with the time and with it their opinion abouts certain topics...
    just look at the old archives and see what chris or someone else posted as he began...(sad that we can´t enjoy ed´s old posts)...

...to quote an old chinese saying...
    "The truth of world can be found sitting at the riverside.
    The river never begins, the river never ends.
    All of life is like the river, lessons never begin and lessons never end."

gruesze sebastian

17. Chris:

I was thinking it might be useful to have a dedicated forum for bass teachers (and future bass teachers) to share and compare experiences, methods, etc. A little more specialized than the "technique" or "music" forums.

My $.02.

18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

For me, the main improvement would be a Jazz or Jazz Theory forum. There used to be a DB 'ask the pros' which was all about asking questions about Jazz and this was great.

I think there are a lot of Jazz DB'ers and this is a separate subject in its own right - so virtually every Jazz group has a DB player and it must be the case that most DBers you meet or talk to around here are likely to have played Jazz at some time and playing Jazz is probably a big motivational reason for why a lot of people took up DB.

Jazz Theory is now a well-defined subject and things like performance protoculs could be included and maybe improvisation - maybe it could be the Improvisation and Jazz Theory and Practice forum!! ;)

19. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    In case anyone was wondering, I'm still listening. I want to make sure to get as much info as possible together before bugging Paul with any specific changes.

* "Ask a Pro" is something Paul has mentioned before, and I'm going to see what I can do about finding out if any of the Pros I know personally from the Aebersold camps might be interested. The camp meets at the beginning of July, and I'll ask them in person.

* I think a Theory forum is a great idea, as it would not only provide a place to converse about such things and make it easier for lurkers to find info, but it would also provide a much-needed home for the "Theory Links" thread.

* Don Z: can you give more insight about what a "Doublers" forum might be about?

* My offer to the luthier contingent to set up a DB "Luthier's Corner" in any format they want remains open. I have had some preliminary discussions about this with Bob B. about this, but have not heard back in some time.

Feel free to comment on any suggestions made by anyone else - this will help me get an idea of which ideas seem to be deemed helpful.

20. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

Chris,

Bruce is right on with this one. After reading his post, it made me consider the following:

DB is a very different thing to different people. It is true that some have broader interests, but for the most part, people have a very specific thought with the db. You have:

1. Classical players.
    2. jazz guys
    3. Rockabillie
    4. Bluegrass/folk

Just to name a few.

Of course, there is plenty that overlaps, but some that does not.

It it were possible to mold the instruction and some of the other discussions to more specifically target members with specific interests, it may help spark interest.

I would love to get hooked up with a group of mostly BG/folk guys for discussion. I also think I could learn a great deal simply reading in the jazz forum.

FWIW,

Chas