Suggestions for improving the look of my bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by viking power, Oct 21, 2021.

1. viking power

viking power

Jul 5, 2012
    SESSION%20RIOT-4%20ANS%20TILT.png
    I'm looking for advice on the look of this bass and what I might be able to do to improve it. When I bought it back in 2015, I was pretty happy with it. I liked the tone options a lot and thought the plain woodgrain was understated and cool. Now, after several years mostly playing guitar, I'm realizing that I am really a bass player at heart and have started getting back into the low end. For some reason the bass is less attractive to me then it once was. Maybe I am looking for an excuse to get something different just because GAS. I don't know.
    I'm not interested in stripping it down completely and painting it. Is there anything else I could do that would change it up a little bit?
    Seriously, am I just being silly and is it the GAS attacking?
    Any thoughts are appreciated.

2. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Umm, you could go chrome hardware.

It would be nice if there was some kind of way to take out the fret markers on the fret board. The truss rod cover could be replaced with a matching wood cover. That would look nice.

Perhaps a bone nut.

IMO, other than getting it finished in an other color, there's not really much that you can do to change your bass' appearance.

IMO, I'd leave it alone. (Maybe chrome.) It's a fine looking bass!

Many of us go and alter our bass guitars and then a year or two later, we wish that we would have left it alone.

Enjoy it for how it is.

3. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    Well I am am not normally a fan if 'woody' basses but that one looks good to me, maybe consider a new strap with some orange/black to make it pop...

4. Yes.

If you still like the tone options, there's really a lot to be said for the 'plain', natural look of your bass as it is right now. (How long do you think a paint job would stay 'fresh'?).

5. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    I find the bass, as a whole, tediously monochromatic. Get some variation into the color, perhaps with a cosmetics only pickguard or ramps.

6. Personally, I've always found the look of the instrument is almost as important as the sound...

When I see my basses, the look of them just makes me want to pick them up... it inspires me, you know?

If the appearance of your bass has you saying "meh," then I think you should switch it up! Sell that mama, and use the funds to try a new instrument... one that you just have to pick up and play when you see it!

Whaddya think?!?

7. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
  8. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    Get a pickguard made for it. Double sided tape can hold in place so no need to drill. Sometimes that can set it off.

9. WillyW

WillyW l’art pour l’art, fonction de baise

Dec 10, 2019
    16B7E43B-EEEE-403C-9D51-6E50CDA0725F.jpeg

10. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Well, I think it look great, awesome shape.

It would look even better though in a thin ope pore matte black finish though, but since you don't want to refinish it I guess that will not be an option.

A purely cosmetic pickguard, as GretschWretch and Scuzzy suggested, I think could look turn out looking great on the bass though, a black one I'd say to match the hardware.

viking power likes this.
  11. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
  12. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    Paint it black.

13. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Maybe stain the body a slightly darker color? Something complementary to the fretboard would look good.

viking power, packhowitzer and lark_z like this.
  14. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Add a custom made tort pickguard.

viking power, Auspuff and Ostie like this.
  15. WillyW

WillyW l’art pour l’art, fonction de baise

Dec 10, 2019
    41-AFF3-BA-8101-4600-8-C32-82-D2-EE0-A5-BE3.jpg

GregC, viking power, Nev375 and 3 others like this.
  16. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i think you might be onto something --- you're a sittin' duck for an imminent GAS attack! :laugh:

my thoughts:
    i think your ax looks great as-is...scrumptious! :thumbsup:
    i think "looks are for kids."
    i think we're all kids...
    but if it feels good (i mean really good) and sounds good = leave it alone (accept it),
    or: do as others have suggested, do some of the cosmetic-flair ideas.

i happen to like black hardware, but i could see re-emphasizing what already exists with some gold hardware.
    aren't vikings blond?!

whatever you do, good luck with what might be an impending GAS attack! :thumbsup:

viking power and Frankie Fender like this.
  17. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I would find a blank sheet of pick guard material and cut a guard for it. Honestly, if you feel like getting crazy, but not too crazy, you can cover the entire flat part of the front. In other words, the guard would cover the area around all hardware and electronics on the front of the bass. That would leave the rounded parts as a nice border around the front. (Similar to what Kiesel does...albeit finish....on some of their Vanquish models and others.) In fact, if you pop the electronics out, you could likely even do it with a vinyl overlay and a blade. Just cut out the pickups, bridge, knobs, and outline.You could even change the color every month.
    downloadfile.jpg images.jpeg-4.jpg images.jpeg-3.jpg images.jpeg-2.jpg

18. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Usually, but not always. And berserker vikings are nude. And they slobber a lot.

19. west al

west al Road Rex Supporting Member

Nothing! It looks great! :bassist:

20. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:laugh: :roflmao:

maybe i'm a viking! :wideyed:

viking power likes this.
  21. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    Well nude under thier bear pelts anyway. ;)

viking power likes this.
  22. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2021