Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggestions for jamming

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by I-Love-Ratm, Sep 30, 2004.

1. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Hey guys I'm just wondering do ye have any suggestions for my band to cover.We are writing but we are in a bit of a rut and we need a few new things.We do mostly Incubus and Chilis but we like branching out into like Paul Simon and the Police.We can't really pull anything heavier than Incubus off!!

Thanks a million

Mike :)

2. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Out of ideas play Blues.

Nuff said

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    +1

EDIT: Further detail (I was on the phone earlier).

It really depends on a couple things -- if I want a jam that feels like it's "moving", I set out a chord progression and kick off a groove to set the harmonic and rhythmic tones. Guitar joins in, then drums.
    If not, I'll hit out a groove -- drums join in. Then I'll call out the key we're in, and the guitar comes in, soloing over the top.
    If I'm just with a drummer, I usually prefer to have him/her to kick off a beat and I'll fall into place in it. If I'm just with a guitar, I'll usually do one of the first two.

But definitely hit some 12 bar blues if you're in doubt. I'm not used to jamming with a guitar while playing guitar (I usually only jam out on a guitar at home, alone) and I was playing with a friend (me on his blueridge acoustic, him on an Ibanez jetking) tonight and called out blues in G minor -- easiest kind of jam to do.

4. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    the cure..or like you said..anything by the police.

5. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    "Hey Ya!"

By Andre Benjamin.

6. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    if you wanna do somethign really crazy you coudl cover old-skool video game tunes or something... I can't be the only person on the planet that enjoys sitting at his computer figuring out and listening to nostalgic themes to mario brothers.. haha! Ok so maybe that wouldn't go over so well...

Blues Traveler has some fun, catchy, and very jam-friendly tunes (Hook comes to mind), as do the Alman Bros.

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Learn the easy to jam riffs. When in doubt, play these and expound upon them

1. Sweet Leaf/Iron Man/NIB - Sabbath
    2. Walking on the Moon/Beds too Big/Roxanne - Police
    3. Whole Lotta Love/Black Dog - Led Zep
    4. Day Tripper/Come Together - Beatles
    5. Blues Pentatonics

8. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Thanks lads.Any songs by Dave Matthews theey are do able without a violinist or saxaphonist?

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Violin/sax aren't integral to Crush, and that's a great song. Really nice groove, and some room for improvisation in the verses and chorus. The Dreaming Tree and Rapunzel would also work without 'em. The violin and sax usually aren't in your face soloists, but rather are there to add colour to the song -- think drums in a jazz trio (d/b/p). The drums aren't hitting a wicked, uptempo beat that's shoving people onto the dance floor, they're there to add colour and thicken up the sound. That's what the violin and sax in the DMB are doing (and they do a phenomenal job).

10. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    PLAY BIFFY CLYRO MIKE

THE MOST BORIN BASS LINES IN THE WORLD AND GET BORED OUTTA IT!

11. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Thanks guys and Aurin ill steer clear of the Biffy.Ill leave it to you and your very capable friends!!