Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggestions for Lighting effects?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by szvonek, Apr 17, 2002.

1. Foggers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Lasers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Strobes

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Black Lights

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Psychedelic Lighting on the walls dude

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. Other (bubbles, disco ball, etc.) - please describe

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. OK, I'm going to try a poll on this too for kicks. Our band just realized we're far short on the visual side of the show, so we're looking into getting some effects stuff. What works best in your experience? I'm looking for specific models and brand names too if possible. Thanks all...

2. Technically I don't know anything about stuff like that, but from what I like to see, it kind of depends on what you play. But if it's like rock and stuff, get a bunch of psychadelic lights, and a bubble machine. Can't get enough bubbles, besides, you could poke them with you bass while you play!

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    go out to guitar center and get the antari fog machine
    its about 80 bucks and it will fill a medium sized venue easily...its as they say "perfect for mobile djs...etc"
    the advantages to a fog machine is it makes all your other lights look better....Also you can goto a hardware store and get about 12 clip lamps and then 4 blue 4 red and 4 green light bulbs(25 watt will do) all this for about 100 bucks I think...and then do what ever...my friend took an old bike wheel and clipped the lights around it and then hooked it into his light copilot(200 dollar light controller from american dj) and we then had an awesome center piece for "raves" that we put on in our dorm.
    check out:
    www.americandj.com
    they make all sorts of stuff and its all top quality
    www.geminidj.com
    they make all sorts of stuff, not the best, but cheaper.

and OSH hardware stores usually have a good stock of lights and stuff and is generally cheaper than some others out there.

there are cheap strobes out there too(for about 20-40 bucks) that will work well.

note: my experience is in coordinating dances and parties in my dorm, we have about 400 sq. feet of room that we would fill with fog, lights and speakers...then have about 30-60 people thrown in, and we had some fun.
    my friends and I collectively had about 2000 watts of speaker power, about 20 colored light bulbs, 2 strobes, a fog machine a 36 inch mirror ball, the Light copilot(this was the cpu if you will...without it everything would have been lame)we had two pin spot lights(for the mirror ball) and we had a liquid light projector...not too mention my turntables and my friends computer for the Dj'ing....yea those were godo times....sorry I digress...back on topic....
    fog machines are very useful, and it would be worth it to have a good light controller that can do sound queueing, and a bunch of lights....

one cool thing you can do is get about 12 clip lights(I LOVE these things) and then arrange two stacks of 6 lights each with 2 of each color(R-G-B) on each stack....then put the stacks outward toward the crowd and have someone queueing it(or make it sound sensitive with a good light controller)

BUT then again....you don't NEED any effects, if your a good band then you shouldn't need them for small gigs, furthermore....I don't know how many venues would want you to have all sorts of crap.
    but this is a topic that I am really into...so forgive my rants :)

4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The American DJ Aggressor, Mini-Gressor, and Avenger II, are all great bang-for-the-buck lighting effects.
    I believe Musician's Friend sells these units and American DJ has their own website if you want more info.

5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I agree that you shouldn't need visual effects, but too many people hear with their eyes...

6. Yeah, the way I see it, it's not something you need, but it's like frosting on the cake. It's something quick and easy you can do that doesn't affect your playing and helps the show, so why not? If you have something interesting for people to watch I think they'll pay attention to what your playing more too.

We have to buy stuff that doesn't have to be rack-mounted too, cuz we don't want to get too expensive; i'm thinking floor stuff only...

7. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    If you go with a smoke machine MAKE SURE your vocalist(s) are comfortable with it. For some people it really irritates their throats.