Suggestions for metal bass set up.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zack Ataack, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Zack Ataack

Zack Ataack

Sep 25, 2005
    Im in a hardcore/metal band and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for my amp set up. Ill be running my crate bt 350 into a mesa powerhouse 1000. Im thinkin about settin up a rack with like a tuner equalizer etc.. Ive seen guitarists using sonic maximizers and was wondering if it would be a good investment for a bass player? Thanks..
  2. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I'd get a better amp before anything else. I have a Powerhouse 1000 and its an awesome cab, but you will want to feed it more power than the Crate can put out. I'd look for a louder, more aggressive head like an Ampeg or one of the Mesas.

The M-Pulse 600 and Powerhouse 1000 is a match made in heaven as far as I am concerned. I can't think of anything more I'd need to play great metal beyond this rig, a bass and a tuner.
  3. Zack Ataack

Zack Ataack

Sep 25, 2005
    Well ill be pumpin out 350 watts, and almost every show i play everything is mic'd so i know im ok for now.
  4. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    If you insist. I've played with a SS crate head before, even with 500 watts and a pair of 410s it was barely audible. If you have PA support you are probably fine volume wise, but I would still look into getting a serious head to match the Powerhouse before spending money on rack gear.
  5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Before you get into rack units such as a sonic maximizer, you want to get the best head you possibly can, or the best preamp to go with a poweramp. If you like your head better than any other on the market, then you can go ahead and add things such as FX and make a rack. You also want to have the best cab, but you look like you are set in that category ;) . Go AB your head with other heads, and then if you like it better go try adding a sonic maximizer. Many bassists use things such as that.
  6. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Put a SansAmp Bass Driver DI or RBI in front of your head.... :bassist:
  7. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    A foot-controlled sansamp could be cool with that rig. If you arent replacing your head, a Sansamp or similar preamp would help you out a lot.

I used an M-Pulse 600 with a Powerhouse 1000 for one gig years ago, and that is still one of the happiest memories of my life :smug: