Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggestions for metal bass set up.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zack Ataack, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Zack Ataack

Zack Ataack

Sep 25, 2005
    Im in a hardcore/metal band and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for my amp set up. Ill be running my crate bt 350 into a mesa powerhouse 1000. Im thinkin about settin up a rack with like a tuner equalizer etc.. Ive seen guitarists using sonic maximizers and was wondering if it would be a good investment for a bass player? Thanks..

2. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I'd get a better amp before anything else. I have a Powerhouse 1000 and its an awesome cab, but you will want to feed it more power than the Crate can put out. I'd look for a louder, more aggressive head like an Ampeg or one of the Mesas.

The M-Pulse 600 and Powerhouse 1000 is a match made in heaven as far as I am concerned. I can't think of anything more I'd need to play great metal beyond this rig, a bass and a tuner.

3. Zack Ataack

Zack Ataack

Sep 25, 2005
    Well ill be pumpin out 350 watts, and almost every show i play everything is mic'd so i know im ok for now.

4. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    If you insist. I've played with a SS crate head before, even with 500 watts and a pair of 410s it was barely audible. If you have PA support you are probably fine volume wise, but I would still look into getting a serious head to match the Powerhouse before spending money on rack gear.

5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Before you get into rack units such as a sonic maximizer, you want to get the best head you possibly can, or the best preamp to go with a poweramp. If you like your head better than any other on the market, then you can go ahead and add things such as FX and make a rack. You also want to have the best cab, but you look like you are set in that category ;) . Go AB your head with other heads, and then if you like it better go try adding a sonic maximizer. Many bassists use things such as that.

6. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Put a SansAmp Bass Driver DI or RBI in front of your head.... :bassist:

7. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    A foot-controlled sansamp could be cool with that rig. If you arent replacing your head, a Sansamp or similar preamp would help you out a lot.

I used an M-Pulse 600 with a Powerhouse 1000 for one gig years ago, and that is still one of the happiest memories of my life :smug: