1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suggestions for most lightweight bass amp/head! Also, general questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Levin, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Levin

Levin

Oct 30, 2012
    Sweden
    Hello!

Since I got my Noble pre-amp/DI, I always just bypass the amps' EQ on any amp I use nowaday. I have always had enough room with my trusty GK combo, MB150 II or something I think it is, about ten years old now, but there have been the occacional gig when that as a stage amp just didn't cut it because I wanted more stage sound, or when playing outdoors without a PA and an electric bass instead of an upright where more head-room would be nice.

My biggest concerns are that it has to be as loud as possible while being as light-weight and small as possible. I'm going to haul it around on wheels behind me, with either an electric on my back or an upright on wheels in front of me, for probably quite some distances, that's why I prefer the compact format.

So, I figured I snoop around for some other alternatives for a long time now and decided the Phil Jones 300 flightcase would probably be the absolute best solution in terms of size and weight, but as of now it's a bit pricey in Europe at 1 641 US dollars IMO for a combo amp at 250w IMO, despite it's obvious quality and so on.

I'm not really good at amps, so I figured I'd ask you who knows, for example would it be a cost-effective idea to buy another amp that I drive with the power from the GK combo? Would it be enough wattage to drive the two of them I mean? And I've heard the common opinion would be to stack similiar amps, so maybe just get the equivalent box for this amp, another 112?
    As you hear I really have no idea at all how effective this would be, but any opinions would be welcome.
    As I see it, if I can get much more volume by getting another box to drive with my comboamp if possible for around 490 dollars, why should I buy a fancy combo? I'm still going to bypass the EQ with my Noble I mean, I just want the power.

Which brings me to the other option, if the aforementioned solution above is a no-go or ineffective, who makes a really light, cheap amp top with lots of effect and who makes good amp boxes that is really loud and with a good sound for their price?
    For example the Phil Jones Piranha C4 Bass Cabinet is only around 490 dollars and 400w, but are there similiar options for a really nice clear, defined, loud sound? The vintage-y tube sound I get from the Noble anyways.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! And yes, I've read a lot of other posts and the mega-thread mini rigs of doom.
    Sorry for any inconvience with the language, english is not my forte.

Regards / Levin

2. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    Maybe the Genzler combo?

3. Levin

Levin

Oct 30, 2012
    Sweden
    For around 900 dollars, that's a bit steep I think as what I seek is more of the most cost-effective way of getting more sound with the things I have, with as little money as possible! As I already own a combo, it defeats the purpose for now unless they also make small, great boxes without the amp head, if the GK is powerful enough to drive both of them? This is what I'm wondering.

4. Levin

Levin

Oct 30, 2012
    Sweden
    A friend of mine gave the idea about a used Phil Jones Piranha Compact 8 Cabinet, but I doubt I'll find a used on in Sweden. And at 25 kilos they seem kinda heavy? Anyone recommend them when playing only with one of these cabs+maybe like a 500w amp or something?

5. RWebb

RWebb

Nov 15, 2015
    Peavey MiniMega 1000W bass head. Lightweight, comes with gig bag, true 1000W RMS @ 4 ohms. Sells everywhere for less than $600 US new.