1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suggestions for my Chain?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JBassClef, May 5, 2010.

1. JBassClef

JBassClef

Aug 18, 2009
    Hey guys!

This is my first post to the forums, so please forgive any Noob-isms.

Thought I'd post my effects chain to see if people had any suggestions. I'm trying to upgrade some of my pedals, and until recently only had access to the crappy bass gear at Guitar Center.

But I recently found the Amp Shop (www.bassexchange.com) and was super stoked to see all the great bass equipment they've got. Problem is, there's so much of it, it's gonna take a long time just to test it all out. Thought maybe some of you pros out there could take a moment on some suggestions. So, here goes!

Ernie Ball MusicMan Stingray Slo Special HS
    Korg Pitch Black Tuning Pedal
    Boss Auto Wah *
    Aguilar Compressor
    Boss Bass Overdrive *
    Boss Super Octave Pedal *

Into

Line 6 LowDown Studio 110 *

Stuff with a * is what I'm looking to upgrade. Any suggestions on a good envelope filter, DI box, EQ Pedal?

I know there's a lot of questions packed in here, but I'm pretty stoked to tap into some of the collective knowledge this community has!

Thanks!
    J.

2. Dumps

Dumps

May 5, 2010
    Lawrence, Kansas
    You could try switching the Wah and Compressor around, Filter effects can reduce volume at some settings (eg heel down on the wah pedal, notches in the middle frequencies from a phaser, etc), so placing a compressor after these effects can even out volume changes. but that's just an idea, it's all personal preference... if it sounds right, than it is... as ar as envelope filters go... i had an MXR auto-Q, forever and it wasn't too bad. Now i'm using a Q-tron+, it's a funky funky filter for sure... it's hard to do much better on a limited budget than EHX pedals in my opinion... on the other hand a friend of mine has a boutique filter that was custom built for him called a photron filter made by Martone audio. It's an absolute monster!!! if you don't fully understand analog filtering though it might not be the right choice for you since it's not real user friendly.

check it... http://martoneaudio.com/PhoTron.htm

so in my opinion go with a Q-tron... hope that helps

3. Dumps

Dumps

May 5, 2010
    Lawrence, Kansas
    And as far as a DI goes... it's hard to beat a sans amp. nuff said

4. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    The amp you could go many different ways with. I'd highly suggest that you post up in the Amps section on here and pick everyone's brain as to what you are looking for as well as your budget.

This is the same thing that I am going to ask about your budget for pedals as that will greatly affect which pedals you can afford and which ones we should suggest for that price bracket. :)

5. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    However, I would suggest you look into and decide which ones you can afford / want to buy / save up for:

Overdrive:
    Xotic Bass BB
    Music ElectroniX Submarine/Submarine DE
    Fulltone Bassdrive
    VT Bass *
    HAO Rust Ride
    Bogdan Polish Love (search around on here, you'll find more info than you ever wanted)
    MXR Bass Blowtorch
    HBE Hematoma
    Tech 21 Sansamp Bass Driver DI
    EBS MultiDrive / MicroBass II

Envelope Filter:
    3Leaf Groove Regulator *
    Robot Factory Meat Wad
    EHX Enigma: Q-Balls
    Boomstick Bottom Feeder / Mojo Hand 442 Red
    MXR Bass Envelope Filter
    Xotic Robotalk
    Subdecay Prometheus / Proteus
    EBS BassIq

Analog Octaver (super deep sub-octave sounds with some characteristic glitch):
    Aguilar Octamizer
    Foxrox Octron/Octron 2 * (does +1 and -1 octaves)
    EBS OctaBass
    MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
    DOD FX32 Meat Box (not really an octaver, but it spits out some ridiculously low sub tones)

Digital Octaver:
    EHX POG / HOG / POG 2 / Micro POG
    Eventide PitchFactor *
    DigiTech Whammy

* denotes my personal favorites