1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suggestions for my first dinner in an Indian Resturant ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Dec 19, 2006.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Hi Everyone :)

Tonight I am due to have dinner with a good friend at a local Indian resturant , this will be my first order off the menue expirence in a Indian resturant. I went with another Friend(RIP) this past september for a Indian buffet lunch and picked at a few things , I think I had chicken and barley. What would you guys recommend for a first time order off the menue at an indian resturant ? Thanks

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Chicken Tikkha Do Piaza. With chips and a keema pilau. Exactly what I had last night when I went out with my mates to the Curry Capital in the Bigg Market. We also had a pot of ""Curry Hell", certified by the Guinness Book Of Records as being the hottest food on the planet. That stuff is from another planet!

Maybe you could order a takeaway sometime!

http://www.curryhell.com/

3. RareBear

RareBear

Oct 30, 2006
    Tandoori mixed grille. Most indian restaurants have this item. It is a sampler of chicken, lamb, shrimp and perhaps a sausage or other type meat all cooked in the tandor. Succulent.

4. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Get a mango lassi to drink. They are absolutely amazing.

5. Jeff Martinez

Jeff Martinez

May 10, 2005
    Denver, CO
    If it's on the menu, I'd recommend Lamb Korma. It has a yogurt-based sauce that is awesome.

And, +1 for Mango Lassi.

6. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man

The strange thing that I find about kormas (and indeed, some malaysian curry which has coconut and banana as a flavouring) is that the sauce tastes like something you'd eat for pudding!

7. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Anything spicy, anything with rice, anything with chicken, or any combination of the afformentioned.

8. Saag and Tikka Masala, baby... and be sure to order plenty of Garlic Naan.

Damn, I'm getting hungry.

9. vindaloo, biryani, nann, yogurt.

10. MAJOR METAL

I might need to print this thread off before I go because I dont know if I will be able to remember these names.

11. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I think they prefer to be called Native Americans. But from what I hear, the Cheroke meat is the most tender! :bag:

12. MAJOR METAL

Asian Indian ;)

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Hmmmm......I need to try it. I wonder if the takeout offer applies to me way over here on the other side of the world. :D

-Mike

14. buttered chicken for something tasty but which wont burn your head off, with that bread stuff, ya know, the flat one:)

15. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    A guide to Indian food from Jethro Tull

http://www.j-tull.com/musicians/iananderson/indian.html

Throw in a Double Diamond or a Kingfisher or two and you have a good evening in store. Or you can come to my place. I cooked Chicken Korma, a chicken Biryani and Saag Paneer last night.

16. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    NY
    Most places will have Chicken Tikka Masala. I usually have Murgh Makhani. Anything Korma (the yogurt stuff) is really good too, especially in contrast with something spicy. If you see the word vindaloo, it means spicy. If you can get naan (the bread) stuffed with lamb that's pretty great too. Enjoy, Kevin!

17. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    Palak Paneer (or Saag Paneer) which is a fresh cubed cheese and spinach dish, Seek (or Sikh) Kabobs, and Chicken Tikka Masala...

For breads, get a Naan (or two) and maybe a Poori...

Remember that it's made to be finger food so don't be afraid to rip off a bit of Naan and scoop up your main courses with it. Enjoy, I love Indian/Pakistani food.

18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    chicken tikka masala and a mango lassi.

19. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    From what I understand, Chicken Tikka Masla is not an Indian dish, but a British dish. Probably worth a google if you are so inclined.

20. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    naan and mango lassi...

best stuff ever

as for dishes, the tandoori is quite good... just pick your meat of preference