Suggestions for my new 4 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zirc, Aug 9, 2001.

1. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I might be in the market for a new 4 string, and I'm taking suggestions from you guys.

Here are the REQUIREMENTS:

1) Must be left-handed, duh
    2) Must be in the $500 range
    3) Must be a good bass for a 2x15 cab, needs a good bassy sound, none of that weak punchy crap. I could care less if it's good for slapping to. I play mostly modern heavy rock with my fingers.

There ya go, personally, I'm leaning towards the MIM Fender Precision or Jazz, and I really like the Ibanez BTB-400, but I haven't seen one of those as a lefty.
  2. PowerMad

Aug 6, 2001
    Hey, I dont have much to say except that the fenders you mentioned would probably the best choice. and as an extra bonus your post gets tossed up top where more knowledgeable folks will see it!
  3. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Of the basses you listed, only the MIM Jazz is avalible lefty. :(
  4. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Really? Why the hell isn't a precision lefty? I swear us lefties just need to riot in front of their factories one day.
  5. Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    glad im not a lefty:p ....... j/k. i would go with a MIM fender jazz. VERY easy to customize with the pups of your choice, bridge, pickguard, etc. . i found a fretless MIM used for $195 and i didnt get it, ...... im still kicking myself for not buying it. ( i found it in KC and i left the next day :( ) good luck
  6. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Arange a date and time, and I will be there ;)
  7. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Actually I stand corrected, this is a Fender Prescision Lefty. I saw one today at Mars, but it was American.
  8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    You can get any Carvin in lefty.
  9. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I have a Carvin, don't need another
  10. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Have ya' tried
    • Select "Lefty Instruments" from the "Type" menu
    • Enter bass in the "Model" slot
    • Click on "Search"
    There's a purty`98 "Royal Blue" Jazz in good shape for $275, and some
    P's and other J's in the $550 to $700 range.
  11. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
  12. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    good bassy sound, eh?

weak/punchy? you lost me on that one.

they seem mutually exclusive to me.

13. hey lefty, i got a question for you... when you decided to start playing bass, did anyone ever ask you if you wanted to play right handed? Would have made it a whole lot easyer for you, because you'd have literaly every bass avalible for you. I ask because when i was first starting out, i went looking for the quest of a simple lefty bass (i too am left handed), but a guy by the name of Rick Elswit (guitar player for the band Dr. Hook, they're not around anymore, and he now works in a guitar shop), a friend of my dad's explained to me a very simple thing... "There are no left handed piano's, saxaphones, trumpits, why should there be left handed guitars/basses?" This made sense to me, because when i went to go try out basses, didnt matter if it was left handed or right handed, i sucked at playing both. So... my decided factor was that its easyer to get a righty guitar/bass than a lefty. problem solved.

On topic... Fender just made more basses lefty avalible, check out their price lists at their web page, at the mr gear head part, it'll tell you all the new stuff, and which stuff is now avalible as a lefty.
  14. steinbergerxp2

steinbergerxp2 Guest

Jul 11, 2001
    Musicians Friend currently has several left-hand P-Basses on close out in the $500 range.
  15. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Fender haven't made any more of thier basses lefty, it is the same as last year :mad: MIM Jazz, MIA Hot Rodded P Bass and MIA Deluxe Jazz Bass. The best way of getting a lefty Fender is looking for used MIA 1995-1998 stuff, most of it came lefty.
  16. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Yes, someone did ask me if I wanted to play righty, but I picked up a righty, and I couldn't do a thing with it. However, when I picked up a lefty, it came natural to me and I learned on the lefty a lot faster.

To answer your question as to why are there no lefty other instruments, it's simple. Other instruments do not require a fret hand and a pick hand. Other instruments have both hands doing the SAME THING, therefore there is no conflict between the hands.

But actually, they do make lefty pianos, some guy posted the site when I told this one guy off for dissing lefties.
  17. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Stumbled on over to the Yamaha site. They've (finally) updated it.
    There's a few models available lefty - BBN4L, BBN5L, RBX260L, and
    the "new" RBX270L. Yammers are surprisingly good quality for bein'
    so cheap. You could probably find one well within your price range
    and have somethin' left over for a new cord or set of strings. They're
    decent right outta' the box and upgrades are a piece of cake. `Least
    on the passive RBX series. I've got a 260F and have swapped-out the
    pup and the bridge. First bridge was a Badass II (a li'l overkill :rolleyes: ). Next
    was a black chrome Gotoh 201. With the DiMarzio Split P, now I've got
    Steve Harris "clanky-ness" with T/I flats :eek::p .`Tell the truth, when
    my R/A double gets here the Yammer's the only one I'm keepin' :) .

(, I don't work for Yamaha :p Just a big fan of good quality at low $)