1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suggestions for my next bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tumeni Notes, May 15, 2011.

1. Tumeni Notes

Tumeni Notes

Jan 2, 2009
    Well,

I am now in the process of evaluating the purchase of another bass. I currently have a 4-string G&L 2000 which I absolutely love. I have played 4, 5 and 6 string basses and have decided to re-focus my attention on the 4-string. With some good feedback from fellow TB'ers, I will be installing a HipShot D tuner to my 4-string.

Since many of the basses I am considering are not easy to check out; I am basing my evaluations on their websites, reviews, videos, etc.

In addition to tone, my biggest criterion is neck playability. I want a neck that plays like butter (i.e. "plays itself). I am also partial to maple necks; preferably birdseye maple. Thus, I would like any feedback on the basses below and perhaps any others that you think I should consider.

Below is the order of my current interest:

Suhr
    Zon
    Sukop
    Sadowsky (Will Lee model)
    Sadowsky
    Mike Lull
    Ken Smith

Here is a video clip of the Suhr bass - great tone!!!
    YouTube - Adriano Campagnani- Suhr
    Where do these bass players come from? It seems that I discover a new monster bass player every day.

I tried a couple of Pedulla Raptures this weekend and was disappointed (granted, maybe they might not be representative of their other basses). Both of their necks had that sticky, delaying type feel that felt sluggish.

In the past, I have owned Lakland 55-94, Alembic Epic, Alembic Essence, Fender Power Jazz, Fender Elite 2 Precision, G&L JB-2 (that had a great neck, but was only passive), Warwick Streamer, Roscoe SKB 3005 and a few others.

As always, I value all of your opinions.

2. Neck feel is a personal preference and can vary a lot from player to player. Is there anything more specific you can ask? All of those brands are high quality basses.

3. Tumeni Notes

Tumeni Notes

Jan 2, 2009
    You are probably right that the neck "feel" is more of a personal taste. I guess what I need to do is plan some trips to some major bass stores and check out the basses first hand.

4. Popbumper

Popbumper

Jul 19, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    I had an opportunity to "drive" Tumeni's G&L this weekend as well when I stopped in prior to a trip to check out local bass trappings at two Dallas guitar outlets. Nice, nice bass, excellent feel and sound.

We had a great outing, it was a good spending time with a skilled player who has, and contnues to, steer me in the right direction as I learn bass.

In fact, I had been previously leaning heavily towards an EBMM or Sterling until I drove the G&L, and now I am finding myself quite interested in a G&L. No intent to resteer this thread, my apology if it seemed so.

Chris

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I'd add Carvin to the list and put the $1000 you saved into an amp or something :)

6. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    It sounds as if the beef with the Pedullas was aimed at the "Texture" of the neck.

"Sticky, delaying feeling that felt sluggish..."

I've had that on a number of basses. If you are referring to the tackiness of a gloss finish or one that seems to "gum up", I've had that happen on many occasions.

It's been fixed EASILY with steel wool, 1200 grit sandpaper, and a fine polish (like Mother's Billet).
    Worst case, refinish in TruOil and it's amazingly good.

If you weren't referring to that, I'm sorry. I just had that sort of feeling with an 89 Stingray's neck. I'd play it and it just felt like it wanted to make my hands slow and just felt... nasty.
    I satinized it with steel wool for a matte finish, which helped, but didn't stop it.
    A few passes with 1200 grit paper, then a buff with polish and it's WAY better!

7. Antares

Antares Supporting Member

Jul 18, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Another vote for Carvin. It seems like the SB4000/1 is one of the most popular and well regarded basses out there and has all the options you mentioned.

8. Tumeni Notes

Tumeni Notes

Jan 2, 2009
    I was considering the SB4000; however, I am still undecided if I like the "tulip" body style. I played a used Cavin 6-string fretless at a local Guitar Center and was impressed with the build quality.

I am a fan of Brian Bromberg and am doing some research on his line of Carvin basses. However, the Carvin basses seem to be even harder to check out, since they are not usually sold in guitar stores.

9. Tumeni Notes

Tumeni Notes

Jan 2, 2009
    You should make a new thread and get some TB feedback on the EBMM Stingray versus the G&L L-2000 USA model and the Tribute model.