Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggestions for my next step??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jackaroe, Jul 2, 2002.

1. jackaroe

jackaroe

May 12, 2002
    Hey all, got a newbie question about what my next upgrade should be. This is my cheapo combo i have at the moment....Combo .... What should be my next purchase for a band type setting/practice situation? price range is something like 200-400. thanx for all advice/suggestions -jay-

2. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I would suggest some 1x15" combo around 130-150w. For example, used Peavey TNT130 or TNT115(the newer version) should go well under 300 bucks. If you can, the BW version is even better. They are known as real workhorses and give decent tone. On the negative side, they are heavy, so you want to put some wheels under it and preferably have your friend to help to haul it.

3. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Check out the Ashdown ELectric Blue 130-15. It's a 130 watt amp into a single 15" speaker. Very small, very portable and very loud with a really nice tone.

Don't know what they cost on your side of the pond, I got one for £289 (just over $400), but then again, they are British made and that might inflate the price in the US!

4. hey johnny i was interested in getting one of those, as the price is right around my parts, but i was wondering if it had a headphone jack.

5. jackaroe

jackaroe

May 12, 2002
    which is the better choice between the 2 (ashdown v. tnt), since they can both be had for around the same price???

6. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
  7. jackaroe

jackaroe

May 12, 2002
    thanx for All the help

8. Get the Ampeg B-100R. I have it and it's great. I'm asking for a new rig this Christmas though.

9. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Actually, I second that Ashdown EB. They are much lighter than Peaveys. If you are on tight budget, you could get Peavey TNT for less money but if you have the cash, go for the Ashdown.

10. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    SWR WorkingMan 15 is nice. I'm not sure what they run though.