1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Suggestions for new amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sptz, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Sptz

Sptz

Apr 18, 2004
    Hey, I'm looking into buying some serious new amps. The other day I tried a mesaboogie ( dont remember the model) head and an ampeg cabinet, and man I loved that sound. I'm a freak for that really dry sound, I play a lot of fusion jazz, so that's really my thing... Maybe a combo could cut it too, I'm looking for something for a rehearsal room and some small gigs.. What do you guys think ?

2. jpark

jpark

Feb 2, 2006
    WV
    Play every combination you can get your hands on, then trust your ears to what you want.

3. 1stOfficerRiker

1stOfficerRiker Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Cincinnati
    My fav is my SWR Super Redhead. Great tone with the 12ax7 preamp built in, pleanty of power, and a single rack space for a preamp, maximizer, or whatever. It's a 2x10 (350 watt) that's great for practice and then I add a goliath 4x10 underneath to push 6 10's at 450 watts. I use mine with a ampeg preamp. I run the bass into both pre's, and run the output from the ampeg preamp to the effects return directly to the power section. This lets me blend the tone of the 2 preamps as I feel needed, or go with either or.
    As for the Mesa, I love it too! If I could choose 2, It would be the SWR and the Mesa, but budget only allowed for me to have one.

4. P78

P78

Apr 25, 2006
    I am very hip on SWR......I have an origianl Goliath 4x10 that I purchased in the earely 80's...In fact it was the first Goliath Line Sold to the public...I have had zero issues and it has great tone...Add a 15 to it and you have an outstanding rig..Good Luck with the search !!!!!
    ----P78

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Walter Woods and Meyer cabs would qualify as "serious". Serious amounts of cash and quality in that combo. :D

-Mike

6. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Mesa/Boogie head and Ampeg cabs.... doesnt sound to me like the best combination for a "dry sound" and/or fusion jazz.

What's your budget? Then we can help point your in the right direction.

7. Sptz

Sptz

Apr 18, 2004
    Well, let's say I'm unlimited in terms of budget, but don't point to completely uber expensive..