Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggestions for new amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Andrew Noury, Feb 19, 2002.

1. I'm looking for a new amp. in the next few months and need some advice.

I want something that can do classic P and J tones and is suitable for situations like apartment play, playing in small rooms and maybe even a coffee shop-sized club.

Thanks.

2. jvtwin

jvtwin What it needs is a little more cowbell

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    Kinda surprised no one has chimed in yet, but here's my two cents worth.

It sounds like you want a combo set up. You don't say how much you want to spend so, I'll assume you'll want to stay under a $1000.00. I'd look at SWR or Eden. Both have simular set ups and tone shaping capabilities. Both are light weight and portable with enough head room for what you want. Ampeg has some nice combos but they are on the heavy side. I also like Ashdown, but you'll pay a little more for it. Best thing to do really is just go to your local music dealer(s) and play everything they got till one strikes you as being the one you want. Then go from there.
    Good luck.

3. Oops, I was looking at spending about $1-1.5k.

I've looked at Eden and Mesa/Boogie amps. at a local store but they seem to have mostly high-end and high-dollar rigs.

Thanks for your suggestions though, I'll look around for a shop that has SWR amps. and keep hunting.