1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suggestions for new rig?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Miles Berry, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Miles Berry

Miles Berry Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2006
    Redding, Ca
    Hey guys,

At the moment I have a basic ampeg half stack, the b2re. And it really doesnt fullfill my wants anymore. My main bass is a modulus q6, and it really doesnt sound near as good as it should out of this amp.

At a jam I played this guys rig, an eden 1x15, not sure what one exactly, and a gk head, also not sure what one exactly....anyways, my bass sounded amazing out of it. And after that I even really want to hear it out of my rig. So I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a rig with a standalone 15 inch cab to start with, until I added a 2x10.

I play mostly funk, jazz, and world beat kind of stuff. And I dont have a whole lot of money to spend right now, but maybe you guys can help me figure out my options.

thanks much,

Miles

2. well.. whats your EXACT price range?

3. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    honest reccomendation:

Aguilar AG500SC and a good 410 from aguilar or ashdown.

4. Basso54

Basso54

Jul 22, 2003
    Dalhart, TX
    I love hartke stuff, as my sig will show, I've played a few different heads through the cabinet i have and really liked the results. My favorite has been an Ampeg SVT Tube head. I love the way the aluminum cones accentuate the notes. My hartke head has been a ROAD WARRIOR. It's only hiccuped once in 4 years of service. One minor repair and the puppy's still kickin'. It's been through all sorts of wind/rain/snow(West Texas weather sucks) at outdoor gigs and still rocks like a champ. Hartke's a definite bargain and puts out great tone. Ampeg is my tone of choice, but i'm kinda too broke to get one at the moment. Maybe you should try some different cabs and speaker combos with your head?

5. I'd check out some Eden gear, but it does get a bit pricy :meh: . GK stuff is also solid, and Genz Benz is also quite awesome for that kind of sound.

6. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    +1 on plain old's suggestion. Used Eden Cabs (eg, 2x10xlt or xst) are a bargain. New, they're like 600-plus, used can be 250(sometimes)-350(usually). My take on the reason is that lightweight rigs are currently in vogue. Edens are not light (but not tanks, either.)

7. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    A GK 400RBIII or IV will have plenty of power and sound great used-$250

I have a Legion 1x15 with an Eminence Delta I got for $170 NEW!!

I have heard great things about Avatar Cabs B210 - $259 New

A great rig for approx $700, if you sell whatcha got it shouldnt cost too much out of pocket.

8. Miles Berry

Apr 14, 2006
    Redding, Ca
    Hopefully I could sell my ampeg here and get a pretty decent price. I could probably muster about 1200$. I want to run two 8 ohm cabs, and maybe start off just with a good 1x15.
    Thanks for the replies guys.

miles

9. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    For $1200 you can get some pretty good gear if you shop carefully. You'd like the GK artist series heads, I'm sure, although if you want to add an extra cabinet later I'd get something with more power than the GK400RB-maybe the 700 RB. With the 6 string bass you'll need the extra power. Cabinets are up to you. GK cabinets, at least the high end ones, are a bit pricey but sound great. Yorkville Sound has some good ones at much less cost that I've used a lot with very good results.

You'll have to get out and try some gear out to find something you like within your budget. Used gear from brand names can be bought that will easily blow away your rather low powered Ampeg for under $1000. You've just got to get out and try it.

One thing that works, if you live in a city with such music stores, is to go in and rent a rig for a weekend and try it out in real world conditions. It's hard to tell in a music store how something will stand up to live use. I did this before I bought a pair of Yorkville 1-15 cabinets to use with my GK400RB head. In fact, I ended up buying the same cabinets I rented and paid about $225 Canadian for each. They were in good shape and hadn't been abused and I used them live 3-4 nights a week for years. They never failed me.

10. keavin barnes

keavin barnes

Nov 22, 2006
    :eyebrow: go to musicians friend.com & check the price on the GK stuff ...LOTS of power for the price!

11. Miles Berry

Apr 14, 2006
    Redding, Ca
    What do you guys think is a good resale price for my ampeg
    b2re?

miles

12. neatobassman

neatobassman

Jul 16, 2005
    Antelope CA
    Used stuff is your best bet. I think it's the 15 that you like, but mess around with a bunch of stuff and see what you like.

13. If you want to go new, I would pick up an Eden 115 XLT ($580) with a nice GK head that fits in the price range. Alternatively and a bit more expensively, I would also check out the Eden heads and Genz Benz heads, or maybe even a pre-power setup.