Suggestions for New Speakers for Ampeg V4b head/B40 4x10 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by harryh, Jul 9, 2017.

1. harryh

harryh

Aug 20, 2011
    Texas
    Hi Folks, last time I was here was a year and a half ago.

I bought a V4b head and spent all this time looking for a B40 4x10 cab to go with it. Finally found one and now I'm wondering what new speakers would be good to go inside the cab?

I spent a couple of hours here looking at old threads, but it occurred to me that there might be some new opinions about speakers that have come out recently, so I thought I'd break down and ask for advice!

I've been playing Ampegs amps since the early '70s, like the B15 and B18 amps. I mostly like clean sound, although I also like a little bit of the growl that comes when you turn the amp up to 1 o'clock. My basses are a Mexican Jazz and a '66 Guild Starfire with a single pickup in the Bridge position. I am only an occasional bass player now, but a very enthusiastic one and I would like to explore the possibilities of this amp and cab combination.

Back to the amp. Again, I like the amp but it doesn't seem to have a great deal of power, so I thought maybe I should try and find really efficient bass speakers. Ideally, I would like to find another B40 cab and be able to use either one or both as needed for a gig.

I'll try and load a pic of the set up. Thanks!

Attached Files:

Stumbo likes this.
  2. In my world of playing bar gigs, the V4B has plenty of power so there could be something wrong with your amp. As far as the cab goes, Eminence BP102, B810 or SC10 would work and there may be another Eminence driver or two I'm not remembering. The original speakers in the B40 cab were the same 10's they put in the SVT cab, and IME are not up to the handling the V4B If you want something original, the Altec 425A was offered in the B40 cab as an upgrade and four of those would have a power rating of 300 watts.

3. The original SVT speakers were 30 watt speakers well able to handle the 25 watts each from a V4-B, I've been running 30+ watts into mine for years with absolutely no problems.

4. I don't doubt this is your experience. Not mine. We're not really dealing with only 100 watts. Ampeg rated their amp's power at 3% THD - so in other words - at clean power. I don't play my V4B at clean power levels. The output can exceed 200 watts with distortion. I found the B40 with OEM Eminence drivers ungiggable with the V4B.

5. Yeah, I almost always play clean and you can hear the speakers if they are being pushed beyond thier capacity. I have played distorted in the past with a Rickenbacker and the single SVT cab could rip your head off with distorted treble but not often enough to ruin the speakers.

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Do a search for a thread I posted a few years back about refurbing one just like it that looked like it has been dragged behind a truck. Eminence Legends sound fantastic in that cab!

By the way, it wasn't a "lucky guess" on my part. I called the fine folks at US Speaker and they ran the inside dimensions through their software. The Legends were just one of the choices but the customer service guy and I talked through the options until we agreed on those. Good choice.

7. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    They have several Legend speakers. Which ones did you get?

9. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    there is no doubt the legends will be fine, but the op approx is right on the mark, 10" speakers tend to be on the low side of efficiency so finding something with good efficiency will be the way to go

10. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Honestly Jimmy I think the number was something like a "B102" or maybe a "P102"? I will have to find my invoice in the file cabinet tomorrow.

11. harryh

harryh

Aug 20, 2011
    Texas
    OP here.

First, thanks so much for the help.

Second, tell me if I'm right:

A casual observation is that, if I use an Ampeg 8x10 cab or 2 4x10 cabs with my V4b, it's gonna be loud as hell, but with a kind of distortion that most players interested in V4b amps in the first place will dig. Is that a fair statement?

Thirdly, deltalite 2510s are more efficient than the Legend series speakers that do a similar job, like the BP102. Since a V4b with good caps that's biased correctly can make at best 115 to 120-ish watts clean (and that's with the kind of voltage that's coming out of the wall these days, not back in the '70s), on paper it seems like the 2510s would be worth strong consideration.

Can anybody tell me the 'disadvantages' of the 2510 over the Legend speakers?

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    It can, or it can also be very quiet with a very clean sound. All depends on where you set the gain and master.

13. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I've had two V4/B40 combos now. My first I used the BP102, they were okay but not great.

The second B40 I loaded with the drivers from my flat back 8x10 first, and a set of eminence B810 second. The original square CTS were the best sounding. Took the power the the V4 without issue. Can't really get those easily though. When I was selling the cab I put the B810s in it. Sounded decent, more bottom and power handling than the CTS but not as nice in the midrange.

If I were looking at new drivers I might consider the Weber 10FL, supposed to sound similar to the old CTS

Bass 10FL (Light)

Haven't tried the 2510s.

14. harryh

harryh

Aug 20, 2011
    Texas
    Chris, speaking of Altec speakers, about a year ago, you posted that you were gonna throw some Altec 425 8a speaks into a B40 cab. Did you ever get the chance to do that? Did you like?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  15. harryh

harryh

Aug 20, 2011
    Texas
    There are masters on the V4 guitar amps, but not the V4b Bass Version. Did I get that right? I'm pretty new to the V4 family tree.

16. coreyfyfe

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    There were a few variants of the V4 and V4B. The early 70s models were non-master, the later 70s models had a master on the V4, but maybe not the V4B? The V4BH (90s model) and current V4B reissue both had master volumes. With the 70s models you could use an external master volume control.

17. harryh

harryh

Aug 20, 2011
    Texas
    I'll try and pull a speaker in the next few days and see what I have. From reading, I do not think it is the same as the flat-back speaks. I'll take a pic of the speaker and codes.

Again, the speakers I have sound pretty good up to 12 o'clock on the volume knob. That's with a '66 Starfire Bass. At 1 o'clock , things get pretty flatulent.

18. harryh

harryh

Aug 20, 2011
    Texas
    I read about that!

19. coreyfyfe

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    12 o'clock on my V4 volume control I'm usually in full on drive so it might not just be the cab there.

As I mentioned I've had two of the B40 cabs, both came stock with different speakers. The first one I had came with the stock 78 eminence drivers, they were square magnet but smaller than the CTS style and wimpier overall. The second cab I had had CTS drivers dated 74 or 75 I believe. Similar in construction to the 72 CTS in my 8x10 but with different cone materials and chrome magnets/baskets instead of black. At one point I posted the pictures here, can't recall the thread.

Found the pictures at least - top two were from the 74 B40, bottom from my 72 flat back. All hav ethe 5810144 part number on them

MF3NefX.jpg

UfjvlQH.jpg

roXZ0Y8.jpg

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021