Suggestions for overdrive pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by XVX, Oct 30, 2011.

1. XVX

XVX

Aug 28, 2011
    I'm on the market for a bass distortion pedal, and am hoping for some help learning what's out there (and might apply to what I'm looking for). Been reading the boards for ages, but there's just so much out there, it's a bit overwhelming.

That said, what I'm looking for is something heavy and aggressive, that won't sound thin or suck low end. I've been playing out of a Boss ODB-3 pedal, and I like the sound I'm getting, it's just a tad...weak perhaps? I'm not looking for anything with extra bells and whistles, just straight up, powerful, aggressive tone.

I really like the sound of the Aguilar Agro (from what I can tell from samples), I'm just wondering what else is out there like it, that might suit me as well or better, preferably at a lower cost of possible. Thanks!

2. I'm a newfound fan of the Darkglass B3k, but it's a bit on the pricey side.

My 2nd fave pedal for recording is definitely the Tech 21 Oxford. I think it's excels at doing the same thing as the Agro, plus more.

Here it is, direct-recorded, with the speakersim off:

Orange Ox (heavy grind) by Infant Molecule on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

All my other clips on that site have the sim on, including the one where I pit the Ox against the Agro...but I think it sounds more Agro-ish with it off. "Dummydarko" track is with the Ox, with sim on.

Hope that helps:)

3. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    What's your price limit and will go boutique?

4. XVX

XVX

Aug 28, 2011
    Under $100 (used) ideally, I don't need anything top-of-the-line, just something that will do what I need it to. I could be fooling myself with that price, though.

5. behndy

behndy Inactive

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    if there's a GC near you go and try out some of the Tech21 stuff like FaithLoadsOfMan up there suggested.

also, the Way Huge stuff (Pork Loin et all) is very good and not super expensive (going by Overdrive Relativity Rules that is).

6. angel.of.death

angel.of.death

Oct 14, 2008
    mexico d.f
    boss obd 3

7. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
  8. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    The Bad Monkey has gotten good reviews on this site for bass overdrive.

Another pedal that most may not have heard of us a fuzz pedal from de Lisle Guitars. If you can turn down the edge and fuzz, up the level and range and get some nice sound driven bass. It was designed for guitar, but there is no bass roll-off. It can also get really sputtery if you crank the fuzz and edge knobs. :)

9. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
  10. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    I agree with quality of the Hematoma, I own one and it's one of my favorite pedal.
    That being said it's not aggressive. If you want aggressive, the MXR Blowtorch is better suited for that job.

11. ODB-3

12. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    The Oxford sounds great!

I swear by the Pork Loin. Try one out :)

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021